Tools for Bowl bevels...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Tools for Bowl bevels...

Post by baweaverpipes »

Bonagainbriar, I'm not being dismissive toward your post or you questions.
Regarding the answers given, they were informative and on the money.
What's going on here? A question was asked, an answer was given.
This is a bunch of BS. To deride someone for answering a question is malarky.
Look back at the postings by Mr. Johnson and you will see that he has always been very giving with his time and knowledge.
I, on the other hand, am a crusty old fart and give obnoxious replies.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote:I'm glad you're not the one who had his feelings hurt.
It would take a hell of a lot more than the above thread to hurt my feelings. :endofmankind:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

ToddJohnson wrote:I try to be generous with any expertise I have to offer, but I'm not in the business of saying the same thing over and over when it's already on "paper." That is all.

Todd,
You definitely have been and I appreciate it. I guess that is the beauty of volunteering your services on a site like this. You can choose not to repeat yourself. Unfortunately, since I chose teaching as a profession, I don't get that luxury. Oh well sucks for me. By the way, I totally see your point. I don't know the first thing about lathes and so anytime that subject comes up I become the class dunce. I would never think of asking you, "So what does a lathe do again?"

Mr. Weaver,
I was not trying to be derisive and I think Todd's initial post was the perfect answer. Forgive me if I came across that way, but how is it BS to use the forum to discuss teaching styles but not BS to use it to discuss which model Lotus is the manliest or how backwoods certain gubernatorial candidates are? :lol:
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

OK, I will now deride Mr. Weaver.

Anyone who uses the term "malarky" in this day and age is not only a crusty old fart, he is anachronistic. Of course, I realize you live in Nashville and that this is probably accepted speech up there. I'm just engaging in a bit of tomfoolery. :P

But anyone who refers to Todd as "Mr. Johnson" is just plain wrong.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I couldn't agree more. This sort of tomfoolery has got to stop. Mr. Weaver is such a square.

TJ

RadDavis wrote:OK, I will now deride Mr. Weaver.

Anyone who uses the term "malarky" in this day and age is not only a crusty old fart, he is anachronistic. Of course, I realize you live in Nashville and that this is probably accepted speech up there. I'm just engaging in a bit of tomfoolery. :P

But anyone who refers to Todd as "Mr. Johnson" is just plain wrong.

Rad
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Sorry If I tomfooled or malarked.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

FWIW, I agree with Todd here. I have been kicking around the idea of making a thread that defines some basic terms and points out some formative threads that are required reading for newbies, but I have yet to find the time/motivation to make it happen.

I definitely think there are times when new members of the forum ask questions when they really should just spend some time browsing (I'm pretty sure I was one at one time). I also agree that without a basic understanding of the tools of the trade, a lot of really useful answers from the best pros in the business will be less than helpful because of a limited understanding of the basics (again, I'm pretty sure I was there once).

As an example, I remember when I first started reading the forum and asking questions, and I was convinced that a drill press was the only way to go for drilling the air way and chamber. I was convinced of this because I could not for the life of me understand how one could even hope to drill on a lathe, and when people talked about the "tailstock" and the "headstock" and the ability to line a block up in the chuck, I thought it sounded like some sort of mystical guessing game people were playing and that there was no way they could really get a draught hole to line up with the chamber properly on a lathe. :roll: Had I started a thread back then asking "how do you crazy people get your drilling lined up right on a lathe," I probably would have heard answers like "it's really not very hard, just line the lines up with the bit in your tailstock and do it," and I would have been left wondering what this mythical tailstock was, and how I lined it up with a drill bit into a 3D block of wood. The reason being, all I knew about lathes was that they were called lathes, and that they spun wood around and made cool shapes. LOL

Maybe one of these days I'll create a dictionary/required reading thread for the newbs. Until then, I'll hope that shenanigans, tomfoolery, and other such balderdash cease, forthwith.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

SimeonTurner wrote:Until then, I'll hope that shenanigans, tomfoolery, and other such balderdash cease, forthwith.
Tomfoolery and Malarky, perhaps. But I refuse to let the shenanigans die. And nobody can stop me.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

KurtHuhn wrote:
SimeonTurner wrote:Until then, I'll hope that shenanigans, tomfoolery, and other such balderdash cease, forthwith.
Tomfoolery and Malarky, perhaps. But I refuse to let the shenanigans die. And nobody can stop me.
That is fair. It is your forum, after all, and no one should be denied shenanigans on their own forum. Frankly, I don't think I would have conceded the malarky, but maybe it's for the good of the community. You are a true gentleman and should be commended.

TJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

What I didn't mention is the horseplay, hijinks, and buffoonery. Given their continued existence, I can do without malarky. For the good of the forum, of course.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

So, how do you make a pipe with a lathe? :lol:

I've experimented with several ways to make a bevel (I'm assuming you're referring to the tobacco chamber bevel here.) I've used a rasp and done it by hand. I've used a dremel with sanding drums and cutters. And, I've also turned them on a lathe. But the method that I've found works the best is to hold a piece of sandpaper against a round object (a softball seems to give a nice shape) and spin it against the tobacco chamber until you reach the desired depth/effect. I'm not sure if this makes sense but it's a really easy and fast method. Even better than doing it by hand would be using the same method while the block is spinning in a lathe. That should make really quick work of it. I hope this helps.

On a side note but yet still pertinent to the discussion, I agree that a very basic understanding of pipemaking is necessary to get started. I started with the Pimo book and that's nearly as basic yet comprehensive as you can get. I also learned a great deal from this website. That being said, I've discovered some very unique methods such as the one above by working through some of the problems I've encountered while learning the craft on my own. Sometimes, I think, being fed the answers inhibits innovation. Just a thought.

Grace & Peace,
Wayne
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I know this thread is a dead horse, but after reading some old posts to figure out who the heck Random and Mike Messer are, I just had to beat it a little more.

I don't think they did, but if my posts in any way set me up as being the new Random or Messer let me humbly, humbly beg forgiveness. I certainly don't have the same attitude as those guys but you never know how you come off in print as opposed to face-to-face. If my name goes down in pipemakersforum.com history with those two it is Hare Krishna time for me (or is it Harry Carey?).
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Think nothing of it. I don't think you got even close.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com