Mr. Hyde Pipes - Pipe Booklet

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ND Pipes

Re: Mr. Hyde Pipes - Pipe Booklet

Post by ND Pipes »

mrhydepipes.com wrote:Thanks man, but you can call me Eder ;)
Little Water Drop could be better in some points but my overall evaluation is a "cute" for it.

I have been trying to make some lightweight pipes... having from a bit less than 1oz and up to 1-1/2oz.
Only under request I'm making bigger pipes. That's being pretty challenging because when you work
with reduced sizes is difficult to rollback mistakes and the creativity has to be a bit more accurate.
Eder, you are so rigth... that is why i like them even more... i would like to know how these lightweight pipe behave related to heat when burning.... are they much hotter then bigger ones??

Tribal looks so nice... a lot of work there... really awsome.... :)
;)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Nate

Post by Nate »

Eder, I just found this thread today and have been perusing your quiver of pipes. I have to say, I am quite impressed with your work, especially the quality you are able to achieve with only a few tools! You certainly have creativity down! Nice work and I look forward to seeing more!
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Wow, thank all you guys for your feedback.
I'll try to reply you all...

@Brandon, @Nate
I just have a simple set of tools: Dremel, band sander, drill press and the usual other stuffs, files, rasps, dozens of grits of sandpaper, some weird handmade tools. The band sander I bought about 3 months ago and the drill press about 2 months ago. So, mostly I'm still discovering what I can do with them. I also had a small band saw that I burned down... it was too weak to cut bigger pieces of wood. My manual saws are more reliable :D
There are two things that I always take with me. First, if someone makes, I can make and make it better (or at least I can try). Second, in the past any handwork was made with very rustic tools, mostly handmade ones, and those guys were making some pretty impressive work that even nowadays are not easy to be reproduced. Even after years of studies, having the best teachers ever, having access to all the literature... some master pieces cannot be made once again by someone else. I don't consider myself an artist; I may have the right hands for making stuffs. I'm also an engineer, but my taste for making came much time before any degree. I guess my regular carrier helped me out about being an analyst of my woodwork too.

More complex shapes, or small details, or fine work can't be made using only machines. So here is the dilemma. If you stick only with what some machine can do, you give away your creativity. If you stick only with your creativity, you have basically nothing. The way is to find the balance. Besides, any machine is pretty helpful but it can't replace your hands. I would like very much to have a lathe to speed up what I take hours to do today.
The clean work of the Tribal pipe was gotten with Dremel, sandpaper and Gillette blades :D I went up to 600 grit on sandpaper, after came the tattoo subject, later the rustication. Then the edges of the subject were finished with the blades. After that, my usual finishing: sandpaper, stain, sandpaper... till 2000 grit. Some shellac, #000 steel wool to have even shellac distribution, polishing with blue Tripoli only, wax... There are some carving knifes, very precise ones. I never could find them in the way I'm think they should be (If some someone knows a website with such stuff, please let me know!). So, till I find what I want I'll keep on my crap solution with cheap Gillette blades. There is an older pipe that I made last year. It was my pipe #12: Gokstad. It got some Celtic knots. Tribal is my pipe #53. I guess since that time my hands got a bit more accurate.

@tNd
Yes, they get with dark shade faster than pipes with wider walls. I saw a thread of yours ("pipe become darker while smoking it...") and it's just like that. In my little experience, the heel is the part which is exposed to higher temperature and it becomes darker than any other part. After, comes the foot and the opposite part of the heel, on top on the shank where it finds the bowl. To get darker pipe after several smokes is just normal. The wood gets used to the heat then it gets darker. It doesn't mean that the wood is burning down and it’s going to crack any time soon. It can even crack, but you have to have a bad wood quality which wasn’t properly curate or there are some hidden flaws which with high temperature will open up. Also, good part of the conservation of a pipe is on the pipesmoker. A very well curate briar has a long lifetime even if the bowl walls are thin... of course they can't be toooooo much thin. In another thread, Daniel (DMI) posted something that the idea I resumed here: briar is the ultimate wood for pipes. I totally agree. Other woods may be amazing too, but never with the briar longevity.

@Sasquatch, @James, @Abi
Thank you guys, I like when you guys say which ones you liked the most. That's very personal, I mean, the taste for something. Some like a lot something but others hate. But I guess there's a common concept of beauty of at least "pleasant to the eyes".

@ToddJohnson
Thanks man. I don't like all of my pipes either. Some I really don't like. They are just not my taste. But they may be the taste of someone else ;) I guess I've improved quiet a lot more recently. Any handwork needs time anyway. As much longer you do, better your work is.
Actually I put my pipes on sale on my website http://mrhydepipes.com. Eventually someone buys some... other guys request custom pipes. But I don't have a good flow of sales. I went to a pipe show in Germany last March. People liked what I had to show but I didn't sell as many I would like. It's difficult from someone who is outside of the circle to get inside and starting making deals. I trying to work out on that... but I'm a better maker than a seller. I live just overseas in France... but we can set something, I’ll PM you later on (my fiancée is pissing me off to watch a romantic movie).

:thumbsup:
Cheers,
Eder.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

Eder, thank You so much for the answer....
please, keep the good work going :) it is allways a plesure to see something You made....

Nate

Post by Nate »

Eder, thank you for your response! I think you have a real grasp on what it takes, the balance of engineering/tooling and creativity. And of course this shows in your work. Your attention to detail is obvious and the art in your form is quite beautiful! As you mentioned it is often just plainly subjective, but even in the shapes and designs I personally don't care for, I see the art and craftsmanship behind it. You also have many I really like and I need be saving up to try and purchase one from you. You have helped my eye for design and I hope to continue to grow and learn and hopefully share and help others on here do the same.
SWM

Post by SWM »

Hi Eder,

I really like your work a lot! I am especially moved because we seem to have started out at about the same time - it is a real pleasure to watch your progress along with the pictures you presented here over the last 1 1/2 years. I am also amazed at the variety of materials you have already worked with - you did a great job every time. Even if I have a different attitude about applications on my own pipes I like them very much on yours!

Like you I started out with very few tools and materials so I know what it means to make a billard or a long shank without being able to use a lathe... chapeau bas!

I am looking forward to your next pipes and maybe some exchange amongst young colleagues - or as Walle and I say "miserable competitors" :wink:

Best wishes to you and your future work,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

SWM wrote:Hi Eder,

I really like your work a lot! I am especially moved because we seem to have started out at about the same time - it is a real pleasure to watch your progress along with the pictures you presented here over the last 1 1/2 years. I am also amazed at the variety of materials you have already worked with - you did a great job every time. Even if I have a different attitude about applications on my own pipes I like them very much on yours!

Like you I started out with very few tools and materials so I know what it means to make a billard or a long shank without being able to use a lathe... chapeau bas!

I am looking forward to your next pipes and maybe some exchange amongst young colleagues - or as Walle and I say "miserable competitors" :wink:

Best wishes to you and your future work,

Steffen
Thanks Steffen,
I'm very pleased that you find something nice on my pipes.
On yours, I always find all the best!
You, Walle and me have different styles. So, "miserable competitors" are the others! :wink:
But let's think about trading. That would be nice!
eder.
Pipes of inspiration...
by Eder Mathias
http://mrhydepipes.com
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Once again, me and my tries, nothing really special, but I would like to share them with you guys.
These two pipes are my most recent experiments.

This one is somehow weird. Its shape is pretty simple but the finishing is just like its name.
I had the intension to get it like that, and I did so many different rustication patterns, stains,
sandpaper and wood bleaching, that I don't know if I'm able to make such finishing once again! :nuts:
Rust

Now for something more usual.
It got an inlay made from Olive in form of eye on the shank.
I also call it ginger kid :?
Olive Eye

eder
Pipes of inspiration...
by Eder Mathias
http://mrhydepipes.com
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

oh my....

Eder, this is really really nice.... i have seen them on your page before posting here :) wondering when they will show up here :)

first one is interesting for its finish .. the name serves it well :) :) nice work...

the second one - oh boy, that eye sure looks like a lot of precision work... really a nice job... thank you for sharing this.... :)
:mrgreen:

SWM

Post by SWM »

Hi Eder,

very imaginative! They look very lightweight too!

Best,

Steffen
Walle

Post by Walle »

Beautyful pipes!
Once again.
Congratulations.

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
SWM

Post by SWM »

Roger, I knew you'd like the rust(ication) :wink:

Best,

Steffen