Brass stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
nerd777

Brass stems

Post by nerd777 »

Hey I'm new to this pipe making thing, and i want to get started on my first pipe. I came up with a long stem design and i was wondering if i would be okay to use a brass tube for part of the stem like seen in the pic. Like as in, is it toxic, or stupid idea. sorry i don't know how to post pics yet, but here is the website.

http://www.fableblades.com/Pipes.html
Sasquatch

Re: Brass stems

Post by Sasquatch »

Brass is reasonably safe. They still manufacture plumbing fittings out of brass, so it's probably not going to kill you to make a pipe from it. As with any metal, keep the filings out of your lungs and eyes.

Stainless would probably be a better choice because it's far stronger.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
nerd777

Post by nerd777 »

Now are there any metals I should stay away from, besides obviously led. I bought a chrome tube that seems perfect and was wondering if it is safe to use.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Double check your brass alloys, because a lot of them still contain lead. "Naval" brass is safe, but anything designated as "free machining" or "easy to machine" may contain lead and sulfur. As for your chormed tube, it's anybody's guess. The nickel and chrome plating itself is fine, but it's the metal underneath that may be iffy. A lot of chromed tubes are actually brass.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
nerd777

Post by nerd777 »

i just cut a chunk off and i looks a lot like copper, and i got it in plumbing section of the hardware store. here is a few pics of it Image

DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

How about aluminium? I got some 6 mm tube and tried it just for the fun of it. One short stem and a longer churchwarden style thingy. I only smoked the short one once and the churchwarden two times. I got the feeling the short one got to hot to handle (so to say) but the longer one seemed ok. I have no idea about metals so it might be a bit unhealthy....?
I would much appreciate any thoughts on this.
CedarSlayer

Post by CedarSlayer »

I don't like the taste of bronze, aluminum or brass, so it would not please me. If I wanted to make it right however, I would use a rather amazing alloy called aluminum bronze. It is used in nuclear plant valves, aircraft landing gear and navy propellers. It is durable, low friction and corrosion resistant to an amazing degree. It would be a very safe and quality material, but it is more expensive than you would think by looking at the ingredients used to make it. I got some at online metals, http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... &top_cat=0 that I use to make a few tools. The bronze heads on two of the mallets in the picture are aluminum bronze.

Bob
themathclub

Post by themathclub »

brass tastes awful. go lick some brass. then you will want to make it out of something else, lol :D pretty metal though. i was a brass taster for a few years in the 60s... :?: :roll:

edit: if you use a wooden mouth piece, like the ones pictured, it would taste less bad, but i have a feeling that heated brass will not taste as awesome as heated....something else? that being said, i love the direction you are heading there. that style is unique, and would make a neat addition to just about any pipe collection.
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

I've used brass for stemwork (and to a lesser extent bowls) both internally and externally - but have always used a different material for the tip. I've never tasted any difference between those with metal and traditional stems. That doesn't mean you won't, but considering how many people failed the Pepsi Challenge I'd be surprised.