Perfectly polished tenons that are EASY!

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Perfectly polished tenons that are EASY!

Post by Tyler »

I have recently stumbled upon a way to make perfectly polished tenons, and it not only produces good looking results but it makes tenon turning easier in general.

Let me digress for a moment to say that turning tenons has always been the most difficult part of pipemaking to me. I have always struggled to get a perfectly polished tenon with a perfect fit. FINALLY I can do it with regularity.

Here's how: (Please note, this is using a Taig lathe)

First, and this is not new, make sure your cutting tool is sharp, sharp, and spin the rod at a high speed.

Now for the new, I use a bit than makes an acute angle to to the left, and has a nice point that cuts with the slide travelling from right to left. I believe Taig calls it a Left-Hand cutting bit. At any rate, I have always used the very tip of the tool to do the cutting. I discovered the other day, that if I will angle the tools so that the entire length of the side parallel with the tenon is cutting at the same time, the cut will me MUCH nicer. I mean MUCH nicer. The entire edge doing the cutting results in a cut so smooth that I need no sanding. It is basically perfectly polished right off of the tool. This also makes for easier fitting because there is no guess-work with the sanding, where luck is as important as skill for getting polished and the perfect diameter to happen at the same time.

OK, now most of you probably already know this and wonder what has taken me so long. If so, why the HECK didn't you tell me?! :D This is the best thing I have learned in some time!

Now I will need to go back and redo my tenon turning video. :wink:

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
abbeypipes

tenons

Post by abbeypipes »

tyler so glad you have found a better way of doing tenons,they used to be the most frustrating part for me also until I did the same but with a hand held chisel, yes no more tiny core marks to tidy up, regards
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Perfectly polished tenons that are EASY!

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tyler wrote:OK, now most of you probably already know this and wonder what has taken me so long. If so, why the HECK didn't you tell me?! :D This is the best thing I have learned in some time!
That's probably the rought equivalent to using a skew chisel to finish off a turned wood piece.

I guess we all figured you knew! :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Re: Perfectly polished tenons that are EASY!

Post by ToddJohnson »

Tyler wrote:OK, now most of you probably already know this and wonder what has taken me so long. If so, why the HECK didn't you tell me?! :D This is the best thing I have learned in some time!

Now I will need to go back and redo my tenon turning video. :wink:

Tyler
I'm just glad you're spending some time in the shop turning tenons. :D I've been looking at the same three pipes that have been "on the bench" for a month. It sounds like you've found a real time-saving trick.

Todd
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'm just glad you're spending some time in the shop turning tenons. I've been looking at the same three pipes that have been "on the bench" for a month.
I need to update the "On the Bench" a bit. :) I actually have 8 that are almost completely shaped and waiting for me to generate the urge to finish them. I like the shaping process so much, that when I get them shaped, I like to set them aside and grab a new block so I can do the fun part again.

I am also saving all I currently make for Richmond, so I have not been motivated to finish them up and put photos up in the for sale section. I plan to have about 12 pipes in Richmond.

Tyler
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Gatorade,

I do leave a shoulder at the crook of the tenon. To do this, I face-off the face of the stem and as I near the tenon I -- in Etch-a-Sketch fashion -- freehand the shoulder by manipulating the cutting tool in both the x and y directions at the same time. I then sand this area with a little 400 grit while it is spinning to clean it up.

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

Tyler, if you happen to end up with any seconds, how about bringing them to Richmond, and holding one for me? I'll bring some $$$$ :D
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

tyler
changed the angle of my cutting tool on my taig and you are right very clean. the only problem i have is the right end of my tool bit is cutting little groves in the tenon :oops: have a question is the right side actually suppose to come in contact w/ the tenon or you use more angle to get the right side of the tool not touching. i know you have a lot of oars in the water but would love to see your new video - a picture his worth a thousand words. any help will be welcome. and thanks for sharing.

jim
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jim,

I haven't made a new video yet, and random is correct. It sounds like you need to grind a burr off the right edge of the cutting bit.

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Perhaps just a still photo of how the tool is setup on the lathe, posted to the link with the tenon cutting video would suffice.
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

John Just turn your tool holder 1/4 turn so that it is facing the tenon, and mount the bit
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
stdly

Post by stdly »

Tyler some good info and good news for you. I just bought a Taig lathe as well a few weeks back and have produced my first 2 perfect tenon since. I use my vernier caliper to get to the thousands of an inch (no guess work). I am a tool and die maker and use a lathe with a 12 inch chuck at work. So when I went to look at the Taig it was tiny to me but looked perfect for the job of stem and extention work. I made a hand wheel at work that fits over the existing one but is 3 1/4 inches in dia. for smooooth travel. I also picked up some adjustable plastic handles with #10 - 32 threads for $4 each to use on the tail stock (no more allen keys).
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Steve,

Welcome to the board!

I have been wanting to do something to eliminate the need for the Allen wrnenh to adjust the tailstock for some time now. Your's sound like a great solution. Could you tell me where to get the handles?

Thanks!

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

stdly wrote:Tyler some good info and good news for you. I just bought a Taig lathe as well a few weeks back and have produced my first 2 perfect tenon since. I use my vernier caliper to get to the thousands of an inch (no guess work). I am a tool and die maker and use a lathe with a 12 inch chuck at work. So when I went to look at the Taig it was tiny to me but looked perfect for the job of stem and extention work. I made a hand wheel at work that fits over the existing one but is 3 1/4 inches in dia. for smooooth travel. I also picked up some adjustable plastic handles with #10 - 32 threads for $4 each to use on the tail stock (no more allen keys).

Cool! More info please on the plastic handles and how much do you want to make another of those 3 1/4" handwheel? The idea of being able to move the carriage more smoothly is very attractive.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Oh, and welcome aboard :)
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

McMaster Carr, Tyler!
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
stdly

Post by stdly »

Tyler,
The adjustable plastic handles I bought from http://www.kbctools.com/ they were $4.60 CND. If they are not listed on the site I can give you the part #'s from my catalouge. The threads were already the perfect length.

ArtGuy,
That name sounds familiar. The handles are as I said above. The other handle I made at work though it could be made on the taig. I have measured drawing. It took a couple of hours to make. I am very busy at work right now but if you can wait I might be able to squeeze one in.

I posted a pic of the lathe hear if you want take a look.
http://www.pattispawprints.com/pipepage/MyTaigMods.jpg

Oh ya I also made a longer handle for the tail stock travel. Smooooth again!
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks