Sealing Rim Char

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
alfredo_buscatti

Sealing Rim Char

Post by alfredo_buscatti »

I have on old Punto Oro that has had rim sealant applied. You can see it. I have another pipe, an old Jobey, that needs the same treatment.

Can anyone tell me what I need and where to buy it? Shouldn't it be food-grade?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Sealing Rim Char

Post by Tyler »

Maybe you could explain some more what you mean. I'm not sure what rim sealant is?
alfredo_buscatti

The Punto Oro mentioned above is recognizably an older pipe. Someone put what I'd call rim sealant over the entire rim. What I mean is that some carefully applied liquid was painted onto the rim to prevent further degradation, further char. It appears to have blackened the entire rim, which was probably the dark reddish brown of the outer bowl; and for a brief space, it also blackened the very top of the exterior bowl.

Tyler, thank you for responding to my post. If this doesn't answer your questions, please question me, and I will respond to directly to those questions.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Have you got a picture of that pipe? I'm completely unaware of any rim coating substances. If I could see a picture I might be able to give some ideas.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

KurtHuhn wrote: I'm completely unaware of any rim coating substances. If I could see a picture I might be able to give some ideas.
So many snarky one-liner replies....I...must....fight...urge...to...post them...

:lol:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'm totally baffled on this one. I've never heard of such a thing. No telling, of course, what the previous owner did to his pipe. (Am I right in assuming you are not the first owner?)

Could be nail polish or lacquer or no telling what.

I would be very interested in seeing pictures if that was possible.

BTW, welcome to the site. I see this is your first post. I presume you are the alfredo_buscatti of other forums?
alfredo_buscatti

I don't have a digital camera so I can't just post a pic. But a friend does, and in a week or two I'm sure he'll take a picture of both pipes, and I'll post them if they are able to capture the detail needed.

Yes, I must own that I'm the one and only alfredo_buscatti (so far as I know) and am active almost only on the BoB forum.

Thank you so much for your responses.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

So many snarky one-liner replies....I...must....fight...urge...to...post them...
snicker...snort...chuckle... :lol:
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com