American equivalent of Vonax?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Dixie_piper

American equivalent of Vonax?

Post by Dixie_piper »

I've got a few pipes in need of a good cleaning up, and have been told by a few that Vonax is whatt I need to use.
I've tried finding in depth info on the stuff to see what it's equivalent to here in the US with none such luck.
Would white jewelers compound or white diamond compound be near the same? I can get Vonax, but the delivery time is awhile. I'm looking for a fine "cleaning compound" in all honesty.
Would white buffing compound be equivalent?
Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: American equivalent of Vonax?

Post by KurtHuhn »

Brown Tripoli is similar stuff. It preps the surface for white diamond. They're the same micron size abrasive, but brown is more aggressive, and white leaves a finer surface.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Ahh, I see. Many thanks Kurt! :)
Just curious, where does red/white rubbing compound rank in grit/roughness?
Reason I ask, is because red rubbing compound has worked wonders on cleaning up oxidized stems while finishing with a decent shine (given the circumstances) which has me wondering if it may do the same for a stummel with only suface dirt and scratches?
That may be a completely assanine question to ask, I'm just wanting to make sure I don't munk up like I did with the D/A :oops:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It may. Red rouge is a coloring compound, while brown tripoli is a cutting compund. Tripoli is useful for quickly removing scratches of all kinds, and red rouge could be used as a polish - however it's not really designed for plastics. Red rouge is designed to be a final polish for gold and brass, and "colors" the metal while providing the final surface polish.

The standard compounds in my arsenal are brown tipoli and white diamond - the tripoli removes scratches from fine sandpaper, and and the white diamond provides the final polish. I know some folks use green, but I never found it necessary.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks Kurt, that answers a lot of questions I had.
And thanks for patience with my ignorance! :lol:
I got my first order from PIMO today, so hopefully I'll be putting a lot of the knowledge learned here into practice FINALLY!!!
The odd ball cleaning questions are from estate pipes I'm hoping to resell to help this a "self-supporting habit" somewhat. Problem is, I don't wanna let go of em after they're done :lol:
Thanks again!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dixie_piper wrote:Problem is, I don't wanna let go of em after they're done :lol:
That's a common problem at my house! :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

:)
Tis a shame to see so much work shipped away for a minimal profit. I've gained a liking for the pre-1950's Kaywoodies, mainly because I got my first Super Grain at a deal expecting a quick "turn around".... no. This thing will have an easy 10+ hours vested in it (including the learning curve) and I'll be lucky to make a $25 profit. So now I know why people pay for the lots of 50-100 estates, larger progit margin :)
But, as soon as my birthday rolls around, I'm looking into a lathe and a rather large estate lot that I can HOPEFULLY let go of once finished :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)