Apple bowl, churchwarden stem; acceptable specs?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Dixie_piper

Apple bowl, churchwarden stem; acceptable specs?

Post by Dixie_piper »

Despite my setbacks on start time for this pipe, I'm kicking around a few sketches/ideas and looking for opinions on the specs I've got at the moment. It is a decent size for an apple.
Tobacco chamber - 1"dia X 1-1/16"deep
Mortise - 1/4" diameter 7/16" deep
Shank diameter - 1/2" at end
Draught hole - 1/8" (could easily increase this one)
Stummel OD - 1-3/4"
Stummel length - 2-3/4" from center of mortise end to OD of stummel.
I keep thinking that the mortise should be a touch bigger, maybe? I'm only leaving 1/8" OD on the shank at that, but it does have a bit of a taper.
Any thoughts/suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated seeing as how PIMO is very vague on precise measurements :lol: Thanks guys!
*EDIT* the height is 1-1/2" including the shank protrusion, and the reasoning for the 1/8" smoke hole is the customer, who is a hard smoker, who smokes every pipe and tobacco the same way. Hoping the bottomed out tenon and smaller airway may help alleviate gurgle somewhat?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Re: Apple bowl, churchwarden stem; acceptable specs?

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd move to a bigger airway for an abusive smoker. I also find that 1" across is beyond the practical maximum for a pipe to help itself burn. 7/8" is now my biggest spec on a chamber unless someone specifically asks for a hugely wide bowl, and even then I try to talk 'em out of it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Ok, thanks for the tips, just what I was looking for!
I'll back up n punt once more. I keep looking at Rad's blasted apple for shaping persuasion, I'm hoping for a similar stummel with a shorter shank. I'm also hoping that I'll be able to manipulate it for a near perpendicular draught hole, I'll just have to hit the drawing board and see what I can come up with.
So the mortise and tenon specs seem somewhat adequate?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You might make the tenon a bit longer. For width 1/4" is just big enough imho, I like 5/16" better.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Gotchya :wink:
I'll make note of that as well. Thanks Sas!
Boy, changing the tiniest things put you right back at square one. Much more to consider than I'd originally thought.
Thanks again!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Really, what you need to do is make some pipe with what you've got, and see how it works. If you use a 1/8" airway, a 1/4" tenon is large enough. If you use a 3/16" airway, suddenly that 1/4" tenon looks very small.

It's all relative.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Hmm... makes sense.
So the whole balance and proportion thing is throughout the whole deal. Guess that should be a given, just easily overlooked in a cluttered frantic mind I suppose.
I'll have to keep these thoughts in mind.
Very wise man Masta' Sas :thumbsup:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

One other thing, this guy wants an 8" churchwarden stem. I can't really envision that being very aesthetically pleasing without a fancy stem. Which I'm currently without lathe so...
I've considered maybe adding a shank ring of some sort, like faux ivory sandwiched between ebonite or something along those lines. It'll most likely be a honey color or a shade thereof.
I know most of this is all opinionated, just hoping to gather other opinions before settling on the first submitted design. Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dixie_piper wrote:One other thing, this guy wants an 8" churchwarden stem. I can't really envision that being very aesthetically pleasing without a fancy stem. Which I'm currently without lathe so...
I've considered maybe adding a shank ring of some sort, like faux ivory sandwiched between ebonite or something along those lines. It'll most likely be a honey color or a shade thereof.
I know most of this is all opinionated, just hoping to gather other opinions before settling on the first submitted design. Thanks in advance!

If you can do delrin tenons, shank rings are dead simple. Just make your delrin tenon long enough to accommodate the additional material. In this respect, stem rings are far simpler to do than shank caps.

But, don't discount understated elegance. A lot of churchwardens don't have any embellishment on the stem or shank, and look darn nice to me.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks! Another good idea to keep in mind as well.
I've been looking at different styles of churchwardens trying to gain some perspective into the matter.
I've got a few ideas that would allow me to make the tenon to fit some embellishment.
The friend this will be for should be over this weekend, and I'll hopefully get an idea of what he does and doesn't like in line of aesthetics.
Being a draftsman and musician he's shown some very unusual but very specific tastes in finish and whatnot.
I've seen a lot of "first chuchwardens" with a beautiful stummel marred by a bad bend in a stem or over embellishment of the shank or stem, so I definitely feel ya there.
I've also gotta find out what "he" considers an apple, there are loads of variations on that in itself.
Either way I'm looking forward to it, win, lose or draw it'll be something to build on :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)