two new pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

two new pipes

Post by DaGamba »

Here's two new pipes I finished in the last days. I just started trying to use shellac so I'm still trying to figure that out. And I think I got a bit over eager with the buffing and polishing since I manage to take away most of the finish. I guess more is not always better....

Here's some partially rusticated egg shape.

I manage to sand thru the shank on a pipe and got stuck with a perfectly functional bowl. Not wanting to throw it away, I came up with this. Have no idea if it will smoke well though.

Oh, and sorry for the poor photo quality. I really need to get a better camera.

/Pär
Sasquatch

Re: two new pipes

Post by Sasquatch »

The egg (or brandy?) reminds me of an ascorti. The single issue that would make it look more "pro" to my eye would be to thin out the stem along the top line right from the shank to the button. It looks a bit heavy and the transition from shank to stem has a bit of an angle to it.

2nd one... well, see how it works! Interesting texture - must have taken awhile to do.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanx Sas. Yeah, the stem is a bit thick. I decided to keep it for myself so I guess I got a bit sloppy and lazy... :oops:

The rustication didn't take long at all, actually. About 30 min with a dremel.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Pär,

I agree with Sasquatch's issues about the first one. Also, I don't quite get the line between the rustic and the smooth - looks somewhat arbitrary to me. Guess I would've liked it better if You had rusticated it completely.
I really like the looks of the second one ! Interesting variant of a cavalier. Should smoke fine, if constructed correctly ...

Regards, Jens
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I like the top pipe. I'm not a big fan of rustication, but I prefer it to be partial like that one; it just makes it more interesting to my eye, personally.
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanx for your comments, guys. The different opinions about rustication is interesting. It somehow seem to divide the pipe making community... I personally really like rustication. Both the whole pipe and partial. I find it interesting, as a maker, to do partial rustication. It gives a lot of artistic opportunities. Although I agree that the rustication done on the first pipe is not very well done.

I really, really doubt that the "cavallier" thingy is correctly constructed though.... I just hope it smokes somewhat good.

Oh, and both pipes are made for 9mm filter.