Drilling the draught hole

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Drilling the draught hole

Post by Nick »

Has anyone every thought about drilling the draught hole through the stem and the stummel at the same time? You'd of course have to be using a non-blank stem, and it would have to be bent afterwards for a bent pipe. But it seems like an interesting idea. You're garunteed proper allignment of the draught hole, and it would be a uniform width, which would be good for discouraging turbulence.

Just an idea.
ToddJohnson

Re: Drilling the draught hole

Post by ToddJohnson »

Nick wrote:Has anyone every thought about drilling the draught hole through the stem and the stummel at the same time? You'd of course have to be using a non-blank stem, and it would have to be bent afterwards for a bent pipe. But it seems like an interesting idea. You're garunteed proper allignment of the draught hole, and it would be a uniform width, which would be good for discouraging turbulence.

Just an idea.
Nick,

Our own Random has already conceived of such an idea with his "shotgun airway" ((TM) I believe). As I understand it, there is a 9/64" hole all the way through. I believe he also permanently affixes the stem to the shank. Certainly a novel idea.

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

THATS Right!. I thought so.

Thanks for jaring my braim.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Random,

what is the diameter of the bore for the draught hole? Correct me if I'm wrong, but drilling the stummel and stem at the same time means that your bits are pretty thick. Not that that is a bad thing as many many people prefer a substantial amount of material to bite down upon. However, if you were to be concerned about making a thin bit this process would not work, no? How thick do the end up at the button? I'm just curious about this process of yours.

Thanks,

Jeff