rustication

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
bregolad

rustication

Post by bregolad »

This is an old beat up savenelli 614 dry system that I rusticated. I love it, but was wondering what the consensus might be.

J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Sasquatch

Re: rustication

Post by Sasquatch »

Now it looks like an Estella - you could get a job at Savinelli, circa 1973.

I think one of the ideas in making really cool or distinctive rustication is that just exactly wha the tool was should be a little mysterious. In your case, there are a lot of repeated little circular indents and a few little half-moon marks that tell me a bit about the tooling, but some of the spots that got a more intensive treatment (half way up the bowl) look pretty good to me.

I guess at the end of the day, it's what you like. I mean, I tooled out a pipe a few weeks ago, thought the rustication was really nice, and the client said "OK on MY pipe I'd like it a lot less rough" so you can't win!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
flix

Post by flix »

Some parts look great, nice and near-random. Other parts show what looks like dremel tool marks too obviously. I would strive for a more random look. Some makers here really know how to do it well, they've all practiced using single and multiple methods. I lean more toward the multiple or combined tooling method. I've had good feedback doing so. There is a thread showing how to make a tool, just don't remember what it's called. Anyone remember that?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Can't find it either.

The "secret" tool is a bound up bunch of nails, maybe in a ratchet handle or something. But methods and techniques vary, from the obviously hand-carved Radice Bark/Underwood type finishes, to the lightly mechanically tooled rustication of Peterson and Savinelli (Brownblast) products, to the more advanced textures of things like "Sea Rock" or the much older Peterson Donegal pipes. And as Flix points out, oftentimes more than one tool is applied, or applied in more than one way.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

The "secret": :whisper: :shock: :D

http://tylerlanepipes.com/modules.php?n ... ustication

I think the rustication you've done looks great. The above link offers a different method, but your's is good too.