Lucite stemwork, down side?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Dixie_piper

Lucite stemwork, down side?

Post by Dixie_piper »

I'm preparing for yet another ordering frenzy, searching for a bit of insight.
With these first stems I'm about to try my hand at, I'm thinking lucite 1) because it's a lot less money in the cann for each one I flub up 2) the colorings available interest me.
My question being, isn't it their tendency to oxidize that makes lucite stems less desirable? And of course their inability to compete with german ebonite.
Secondly, I've come across a butt load of 3/8" delrin at an affordable price. How well does delrin adhere to lucite? I know these stupid Q&A's I keep throwing up are irritating, and I apologize for the inconvenience.
I'm just looking to pick the best brains available, and I'm sure the best to pick are those here ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Lucite stemwork, down side?

Post by KurtHuhn »

Lucite is a good stem material. It is harder than ebonite, which some folks complain about since it "clicks" on the teeth, but that's a subjective thing. Be sure to get cast lucite, not the extruded stuff. The extruded stuff is overly sensitive to heat, and will drive you insane, among other things.

It does not oxidize like ebonite.

3/8" delrin is good, but 5/16" is "typical". If you can get it at a good price and it fits your pipe shapes and sizes, it may be worth it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Okay, awesome thanks! :)
I'll have to check and see if it's cast or extruded. The lucite I'm looking at is from AMS so I'm sure they'll be able to tell me which it is.
I'm hopefully about to have the extra $$$ to order a lot of the bulk type things (stem material, delrin, buffs) and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time with the lucite.
I sent Kim @ penguin briar an e-mail today inquiring about a multi-piece order, and started trying to line a few other things up.
Hoping to start working on making my first chamber bit tomorrow via David's method posted on here.
Finally on the downhill slope to actually putting the MONTHS spent researching into practice!!! :)

*EDIT* I'll e-mail the delrin guy as well, with all the unusual materials he has I'm sure he can come up with some 5/16" delrin... I hope
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Okay, so I'm an idiot (yeah yeah, yuk it up)
The deal I found on Delrin has expired. I did find it for $4.50/ft 5/16" diameter with free shipping. Is that a good price, or am I on the verge of becoming an even bigger idiot?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

5/16" black delrin rod at Mcmaster Carr is 75 cents a foot, sold in 5 foot lengths. The shipping, however, is not free. My last order was about $12 shipping for 6 rods of various diameters. They come in a large, sturdy mailing tube and arrive within 2 days.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Awesome, thanks!
I thought that sounded pricey, hence the reason I asked.
Thanks again!

*EDIT* (starting to sound like the FCC at this rate)
The lucite I'm looking at is @ pipemakers.org (pipemakers emporium)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've never used the stuff from Pipemakers' Emporium. When I need acrylic rod, I always go to Delvies Plastics ( http://www.delviesplastics.com/ ). They have a minimum order, but it's very easy to make that up with one rod and a handful of buffing wheels. You might check them out, considering the rod is already round from Delvies - remove one possible point of screwup when trying to make a square rod round.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks yet again!
I would actually prefer the round stock. A bit more expensive, but at least I'll know it's cast and already round! They've got good prices on buffing wheels as well.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I use a lot of PME's lucite. Things I've noticed about it as compared to vulcanite/ebonite: Drill slowly with lots of lubricant, lest your bit stick and snap off. It melts fast and resolidifies even faster, so if you notice the bits starting to melt the stuff pull it out while it's still turning or it will stick and something will break.

When turning on the lathe, very small feed is the order of the day. Not only will it melt again, it'll also chip out if you take too big a chunk in one go, especially if you start off with it still square. I like to knock the corners off on the belt grinder before hitting the lathe.

When bending the stem, get an even heat and apply even pressure and hold it until it's truly set. It likes to take a sudden sharp bend instead of a nice even curve. Don't get the fancier swirly stuff too hot, some of the pigmented materials tend to bubble or burn and have to be sanded back out.

Otherwise, I love it.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Keeping lucite cold is the trick, I just use little water rags and touch the rod once in awhile while it's on the lathe to keep it cool.

I also grind the corners off the square PME rods before turning them. It's just much easier that way.

I am moving more and more to lucite - I like how flavor transparent it is and how maintenance free. And the neato colors, like the stone and bone and tortoise totally rock.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks, that wet rag idea is good.
The funky colors is what caught my eye, not to mention the savings involved.
The rounding off idea sounds like a winner too.
What's really gonna suck out loud, is when I finally spend like 40+ hours on this fis pipe and it turns out to be crap. But I'm prepared for whatever comes of it. :) :) :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I just did my 1st two acrylic stems using delrin tenons. The fist one sucked because I was too impatient. The second one worked great. Be sure to use TJ's method. It works like a charm. It's posted here somewhere near the top of the Stems page.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com