Draft hole drill bit; recommendations?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Dixie_piper

Draft hole drill bit; recommendations?

Post by Dixie_piper »

I just ordered a Milwaukee SDS carbide 3/16" X 6" for drilling draft holes. I do plan on ordering a longer one for pipes that would call for such.
Just looking for suggestions on what I should look for and/or stay away from to best serve it's purpose. I'm sorta grasping straws for the moment to make myself more knowledgable about these bits.
Any help here appreciated :) Thanks!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Draft hole drill bit; recommendations?

Post by KurtHuhn »

For drilling draft holes int he wood, I use a plain-jane 5/32" drill bit, or a long length 5/32" bit. For stems I start with a plain 5/32 bit, then switch to a taper point drill to drill most of the length of the stem. Then I poke through the last 3/4" or so with a long 1/16" bit.

I managed to buy a handful of taper point drill bits a while back when WL Fuller was still pumping them out, so that's what I use for stem drilling. However, somewhere in the forums here Todd Johnson (if I recall correctly) has a nice how-to on how to make your own long length taper point drill for drilling out the stem near the button.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Why would you buy an SDS bit for drilling pipes? They are for concrete, and require and SDS drill, which is a type of hammer drill.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Sasquatch wrote:Why would you buy an SDS bit for drilling pipes? They are for concrete, and require and SDS drill, which is a type of hammer drill.
:lol: :lol: Briar's pretty tough, but it sure doesn't require a hammer drill and a concrete bit.

Dixie, 5/32 is pretty much the standard for airways, and, like Kurt said, a plain jane bit is all you need. Just make sure you get one long enough.

Rad
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

The SDS part was my mistake, I was just looking for the length. I realized that afterward. Price was right, so I bought it without really looking into it. Damn impulse.
Thanks for the advice fellas! :P
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)