Pear Wood

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
MrChurchwarden

Pear Wood

Post by MrChurchwarden »

I have been searching for a clear cut answer on pear wood pipes, but it seems like there haven't been any threads directly devoted to this material. I have read that some people say that they burn with tobacco, but this doesn't seem to make sense with the density posted in this forum showing it higher than ash? Any pros out there have an opinion?
Dixie_piper

Re: Pear Wood

Post by Dixie_piper »

I'm nowhere near even a novice, but for whatever the reason I've never heard of pear wood used for anything. I believe it was listed a time or two with the fruit woods under "accapteble materials," but not 100% on that.
Just curious, who sells pear wood? I'm looking for an unusual grain for a shadow box
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Pear wood is actually fairly popular for pipes. I've never used it, but I do see a lot of made from it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Dixie_piper wrote:I'm nowhere near even a novice, but for whatever the reason I've never heard of pear wood used for anything. I believe it was listed a time or two with the fruit woods under "accapteble materials," but not 100% on that.
Just curious, who sells pear wood? I'm looking for an unusual grain for a shadow box
based on your location it might get pricey. I was reading up on the wood as I had bought a pear wood pipe and most if not all seems to come from groves in italy and other european countries, so if you can try and find a european based seller because while americans prize it for a lot of things, europeans dont think to highly of it. That is, according to what i have read
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Pear, like most fruitwoods, is pretty dense and thus okay for pipes. Its traditional use is making large endgrain blocks for woodblock printing.

And then there's Sapient pearwood (found only on the Diskworld), which is good for magical objects with minds of their own...
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: Just imagine your pipe following you to the end of the world! Marvellous stuff!
Leave it in the office, car, friends etc. and eventually it'll turn up!
SWM

Post by SWM »

Pear wood should make a good pipe. I have one and it smoked very good from the first (non-coated) bowl, without any bad taste.

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)