Making a new stem for a Corn cob?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I've got a corn cob pipe from MM, the stem is plastic (they left some of the flashing for me:))
What I'm wondering is honestly opinionative, is what material to use. The shank is wood of some sort, not sure what kind, and I'd like to try making a wood stem replacement as well as an mortise ring to level out the bevel. Plus, to get rid of the "button" looking cap that isn't squared.
Not looking to "improve" the pipe per se, just wanting practice mostly. And to be rid of the flashing marks, after working awhile in PIM flashing drives me nuts! Any suggestions on the wood type to use would be appreciated.
One other thing; with this being a filtered pipe, would it still be wise to use a metal tenon, or something else (I was thinking of making the stem and tenon one piece?)
Thanks!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Re: Making a new stem for a Corn cob?

Post by SimeonTurner »

Dixie_piper wrote:I've got a corn cob pipe from MM, the stem is plastic (they left some of the flashing for me:))
What I'm wondering is honestly opinionative, is what material to use. The shank is wood of some sort, not sure what kind, and I'd like to try making a wood stem replacement as well as an mortise ring to level out the bevel. Plus, to get rid of the "button" looking cap that isn't squared.
Not looking to "improve" the pipe per se, just wanting practice mostly. And to be rid of the flashing marks, after working awhile in PIM flashing drives me nuts! Any suggestions on the wood type to use would be appreciated.
One other thing; with this being a filtered pipe, would it still be wise to use a metal tenon, or something else (I was thinking of making the stem and tenon one piece?)
Thanks!
Wait, MM made a pipe? Do you have a picture of it? We have always wanted to see one of his pipes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

:lol:
I doubt his would be used for tobacco!
On the other hand, the orange M&M, may be the one to look out for :)
Sadly, neither of them will return my calls no matter how much I stalk them so I'm stuck with a Missouri Meerschaum hoping no one will know the difference :lol:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Dixie_piper wrote: What I'm wondering is honestly opinionative, is what material to use.
Thanks!
Here's the perfect solution and will make life easy for you:
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

:lol:
Now Bruce Bruce, drugs won't help me now, can't you see what they've already done! :P
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Back on topic, there's a gent named David Walker that has been making replacement stems for corncobs for years:
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_f ... stems.html

To me they look like regular stems - meaning there doesn't appear to be anything special about them or their construction. I suspect the tenon size is uniform across their product line, though I don't know what it is. If you've got a micrometer or caliper throw it on the tenon and see what the size is. From there you could find delrin/acetal rod the same size and use it as a tenon for your replacement stem if you don't have access to a lathe. Personally I'd leave the filter out, but if you want to keep the filter capability, it should be trivial to drill that delrin out to accept one, even without a lathe.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

The tenon sizes vary although only slightly. I just made me a replacement stem from a prefab I bought from PIMO for myself and my brother in law. I thought the same also, and they are probably drilled w/the same size but, but the military bit compensates for the difference. only small portions of a milimeter...
james
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks guys.
I've already eliminated the filter with a dowel rod. Just measred the depths on the stem & shank then drilled the holes from both ends starting with a 3/64" bit progressing up to a 7/64" bit. Then used the center point ona forstner bit to make the shank end conical, and tapered the stem end with sandpaper and patience.
I've measured the tenon, it's 1/2" outer diameter (I'll double check before ordering anything) thanks again guys!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Dixie_piper wrote::lol:
I doubt his would be used for tobacco!
On the other hand, the orange M&M, may be the one to look out for :)
Sadly, neither of them will return my calls no matter how much I stalk them so I'm stuck with a Missouri Meerschaum hoping no one will know the difference :lol:
If anyone thinks the MM, above, refers to me. It doesn't,
and I'm make Briar Tobacco Pipes, and only Briar Tobacco Pipes.
I just wanted to make that clear.
M.M.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

SimeonTurner wrote: Wait, MM made a pipe? Do you have a picture of it? We have always wanted to see one of his pipes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hello Simeon,
(if you don't still have me blocked, and you can read this).
M.M.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Mike, your character is evident in every post.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I thought we were referencing "Eminem," whoops :oops:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

ahahaha welcome back mr. messer. it wasn't the same without you :)
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Sasquatch wrote:Mike, your character is evident in every post.
I respect your opinion, and I guess you mean, "bad" character. I do tend to react a bit heavy, but, you know after eight months of silence and Simeon is still making comments, but, thanks, maybe I do need to adjust and tune out that kind of insignificant idiocy. Om, Om, Ommmmmmmmmmmmm.
M.M.

P.S. I edited the Simeon post.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Mike, for what it's worth, I believe Dixie was referring to Missouri Meerschaum and M&Ms candy, not you. The drugs reference was a joke response to a joke from Bruce...I'm not really sure how you found a reference to yourself in there. As far as Simeon's joke goes...you threatening lawsuits over some harmless jibe is the sort of thing that keeps those jokes going. Understand that your over the top behavior in this forum perpetuates the jokes. I'm not trying to fan the flames, but read things a little more closely (and with less of a chip on your shoulder) before you start questioning newer forum members who have been nothing but friendly, by which I mean Dixie. You and Simeon have an axe to grind...we all know that, but don't stir things up with other folks cause you think a reference to a very popular (and delicious) candy is directed at you. A little less ego goes a long way when it comes to friendly relations.

- Micah
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

mredmond wrote:Mike, for what it's worth...
- Micah
You're right, Dixie, didn't pick-up on the Simeon reference. He's never heard of me.
I cleaned-up the Simeon ref. shortly after I wrote it, and the other just now, and for the record, I would not actually sue anyone for anything like that.
Thanks for the friendly advice, too. Absolutely.
Thanks.
M.M.