Pre mold stem question

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
MadTinker

Pre mold stem question

Post by MadTinker »

I have some Pre molded Stems. I was thinking instead of Sanding the tenon down by hand ( I do not have a lathe). Would it be possible to cut the tenon of flush and by some Finished Tenon material and glue it in the Stem?? If so Where is a good place to get Tenon material and are they pre drilled??

Thanx
My intent is to make weird pipes out of weird materials
Alan L
Site Supporter

Re: Pre mold stem question

Post by Alan L »

Look at the first sticky in this subforum, "the use of Delrin tenons." That's what you want to know.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

If you're using PIMO premolded stems, check the tenon diameter against your mortise drill bit, they're usually pretty damn close (at least the 3 I got today were)
David posted a contraption that consists of 2 pieces of wood, a hinge and sandpaper that's pretty nifty just for turning tenons w/o machining needed.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Dixie_piper wrote:If you're using PIMO premolded stems, check the tenon diameter against your mortise drill bit, they're usually pretty damn close (at least the 3 I got today were)
David posted a contraption that consists of 2 pieces of wood, a hinge and sandpaper that's pretty nifty just for turning tenons w/o machining needed.
Yeah I saw that, I might have to try something like that
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

One other thing that may help for future reference, J.H. Lowe sells lucite stems at a good price, and for $3 per stem, Tim will turn the tenon to size for you. And they come ready to simply tweak the airway, bend and polish. Very little if any sanding necessary ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Dixie_piper wrote:One other thing that may help for future reference, J.H. Lowe sells lucite stems at a good price, and for $3 per stem, Tim will turn the tenon to size for you. And they come ready to simply tweak the airway, bend and polish. Very little if any sanding necessary ;)

thanx, DO you have to buy them buy the Dozen?
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Nah, I had an order of 3 "Ben Wade style" freehand stems come in today. On the website, at the top of the column it has the price per stem, the lucite freehands worked out to be $7.50/per after having the tenons turned if I remember right.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Well just got some Delrin Rod from Mc Master-Carr................I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got 5/16" and 1/4". The are Perfect in Size smooths right into the drilled mortise hole Perfect Size. Anyway. I drilled some sections of Delrin and cut the premolded stems and these babies fit tight. Just need to get them epoxied and NO TURNING TENONS FOR ME. this seems way too easy. Anyway Thanx for the Help!!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Glad you like the delrin, from what most say it opens a lot of doors on stem work and makes stem rings a viable option.
The explanation on pre-mold stems was just another option aside from attempting to turn them yourself.
Enjoy :thumbsup:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Yeah I really like the Delrin Tenon on the Premolds, Works Perfect!!