Japanese Maple

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
MrChurchwarden

Japanese Maple

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Im not sure if it even a relative to true maple, but I make be cutting down a japanese maple on my family's property and was wondering if anyone had ever worked it. As in, is it worth it to try and age it? If it is, I could potentially have a lot of workable material.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Re: Japanese Maple

Post by NathanA »

I have no idea if it is workable as a pipe but Japanese maples are some of the most beautiful trees imaginable. Leave it alone :) Depending on the trunk size and shape, a bonsai enthusiast might gladly take it off your hands.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

due to snow damage one whole side has died and its near some electrical stuff, its actually a friek and pretty tall for a japanese maple, big enough that we dont want the limbs to fall this winter if it gets off balanced. it used to be beautiful, now is more of an eyesore
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

I looked around the net but I do not see anything. You can always use it for practice. I would try it.
My intent is to make weird pipes out of weird materials
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

that was my sentiment, ill update this once I see what happens
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

well, I cut some wood that thankfully had been drying on the woodpile for about a year and a half. stuff is definitely pretty dense. Harder than black walnut, I dont know about anything else as I dont have samples or experience to compare. However, simply cutting on a chop saw left glass-smooth edges. Ill see what the dremel can do