Chuck For Stem

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
tigercasual

Chuck For Stem

Post by tigercasual »

Okay guys, I have a Delta LA200 and I would like to acquire a "long-nosed" chuck with a small enough diameter to grip rod stock. Does anyone know of a chuck that will do this?

Happy Holidays,
TC
Last edited by tigercasual on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Chuck For Stem

Post by mredmond »

TC,

Most chucks will take different types of jaws, so you don't really need to look for a specific chuck, per se. Nova, Oneway, and others make a variety of different sized jaws that fit most of their chucks, so you should be able to buy a chuck without jaws or with standard sized jaws and then get tower or spigot jaws that should do the trick, depending on what you are trying to do. Hope that helps.

Micah

p.s. If you are trying to chuck ebonite or acrylic rod stock, the regular jaws that come with most chucks should work. If you are working with Delrin for tenons, they probably won't.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Re: Chuck For Stem

Post by Alan L »

To add to that, when turning rough rod stock (round or square) I usually drill it first and then use a drive center in the chuck and a live center in the tailstock to get the rod where I want it to be, diameter-wise, then flip it around and use the three-jaw to hold the (now round and correctly sized) rod to turn the tenon. That's on a metal lathe, of course.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I use the One Way #1 Spigot jaws for stems... Will fit a Nova chuck, too.

Tano

Post by Tano »

Im more interested in the cutting bit. What's it all about?
All the best,
Tano
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Looks like a woodworker's tenon cutting bit.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I just use it to get a tenon closer to finished size (very quickly) - and larger ones to get the OD of the stem cut down closer to the final size, too.
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

kkendall wrote:I use the One Way #1 Spigot jaws for stems... Will fit a Nova chuck, too.

Have you used this jaws with the Nova chuck? I was told that they would not fit my chuck. Then again, maybe it's my specific chuck that is the issue... The Nova Precision Midi Chuck.

Thanks,
TC
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have no idea if those jaws will fit your chuck, sorry I can't offer any wisdom there. However, Teknatool makes a very similar set of jaws for all of their Nova chucks - the 1" Pin Jaws:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck ... es/Pin.htm

EDIT: before jumping on this, be sure to confirm that these jaws will open wide enough to grip what you need to. I just noticed that on the Precision Midi, the maximum interior grip seems to be less than an inch.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

KurtHuhn wrote:I have no idea if those jaws will fit your chuck, sorry I can't offer any wisdom there. However, Teknatool makes a very similar set of jaws for all of their Nova chucks - the 1" Pin Jaws:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck ... es/Pin.htm

EDIT: before jumping on this, be sure to confirm that these jaws will open wide enough to grip what you need to. I just noticed that on the Precision Midi, the maximum interior grip seems to be less than an inch.

Is that the same set as these?

http://www.amazon.com/Teknatool-Nova-Pi ... 858&sr=8-2

I'll be using it to grip rods stock for stem making. Think they'll work?

Cheers,
TC
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I *think* that's the same thing. They certainly look the part.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com