Band Saw Reviews??

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
MadTinker

Band Saw Reviews??

Post by MadTinker »

I am looking into getting a Band Saw. Maybe Harbour Freight (cause I have coupons) or Home Depot. Anyone have any Reviews on some good $100 Saws?? Thanx
My intent is to make weird pipes out of weird materials
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Band Saw Reviews??

Post by KurtHuhn »

Do not get the Harbor Freight saw.

Anything at Home Depot or Lowes will be at least 5 times better.

I have a $100 Delta 9" bandsaw that routinely tries to kill me. I can only imagine the freak show horror hour that a similar saw from Harbor Freight would unleash on my small hamlet.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I have a little Ryobi from Home Depot, and it's not bad at all. Got bearings instead of blocks and everything.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Sasquatch wrote:I have a little Ryobi from Home Depot, and it's not bad at all. Got bearings instead of blocks and everything.
Got bearings instead of blocks and everything???? Explain??
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

A lot of cheap bandsaws use graphite blocks above and below the cutting area to guide the blade and restrict it's movement from side to side. Better saws use roller bearings instead - they can be tightened down, don't wear out, and make for a much more stable platform. The guide blocks are just a "best effort" thing.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
kola

Post by kola »

good tip Kurt. thanks!

I tend to like a lot of the older machinery. Most of it was bulkier, better made and made to last.

Kola
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Where do you get the Roller bearings from? Are replacement blades easy to find for the Ryobi?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Until you get into the larger bandsaws (14+ inches) it's usually up to the manufacturer to determine if the saw gets rollers or blocks. The larger bandsaws are used by pros and semi-pros, so there's a good market for aftermarket pieces of all kinds. If you have a larger bandsaw, check out Rockler and Woodcraft to see what might be available.

I *think* the Ryobi uses a standard size blade. I get mine at Lowes for my Delta.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Well I guess I need to make a decision between Lowes or Home Depot. I am going to check around the Net. As of Right Now Ryobi seems to be in the Lead since the Delta trys to Kill you..LOL :(
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

I just ran across this one Skil 9" 2.5-Amp Band Saw from Lowes. HMMMMM :banghead: :banghead:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I wouldn't wish this particular model of bandsaw on anyone. It's rather poopy.

My mother has a Craftsman 9" bandsaw that cost $30 more, and is superior to the Delta in every way. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the Craftsman. As it is, my next bandsaw will be a 14-incher.

EDIT: not Jet, mine is a Delta - sorry for the confusion.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Yeah I might just get a 14 incher. I have been reading reviews some good and some bad for all models. But it seems the 14 incher will have more power for Hardwoods, curves and such. Might check out Craigslist this weekend. Thanx for the Help Guys!!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

9" bandsaws take a variety of "blades" - from 58 to about 61" The Ryobi is right in the middle needing a 59 1/2 if I remember right. Either way they are perfectly easy to come by.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I've had three of these beasties: a 9" Craftsman three-wheel model that was elderly and impossible to get blades for, in addition to having nearly half the power of a tranquilized chipmunk; the infamous 9" Delta from Lowe's which, like Kurt's, tried to kill me on a regular basis; and the current one, a 14" Rikon.

I LOVE that Rikon... :thumbsup: Enough power and blade height to slice veneers off a 12" plank, enough oomph to rip 4" walnut without complaining, and enough room around the blade and guide assembly to really work on a block of briar with both hands. Of course, you must always be chanting the power saw mantra "know where your finger are know where your fingers are know where your fingers are and NOT in the blade, please" at all times.

The biggest problem with the benchtop bandsaws is that it's very difficult to get really good blades for them. I did not understand the difference until I got the big saw. The little Delta blades from Lowes would dull enough to burn after two or three blocks of briar and would leave horrific sawmarks to sand off.

Highland Woodworking's Woodslicer brand resawing blade on the Rikon has been going strong for a year now, having done everything from pipes to tomahawk handles to knife scales to cutting up hickory firewood into chunks for the smoker. It leaves a cut so smooth you can clean it up with a few swipes of 220 sandpaper. :shock: On top of that, it's quiet. I mean no screaming, no buzzing, no hearing protection needed. Just the hum of the motor and the slight whooshing noise of the blade in air. Going through any wood at all it just hums.

Note to all: do NOT try to cut PVC pipe with one of these blades. I bent three teeth and took a chunk out of the throat plate on the saw... :oops:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Buying the biggest best quality saw you can possibly afford is the right way to go 95% of the time. This goes for chop saws, table saws, jig saws, portable circular saws, band saws.... I can think of ONE time where I've thought "Damn I wish this saw wasn't so big." and that's what I was hanging half upside down between two trusses with a 15 pound worm-drive saw trying to make a bevelled cut. It was.... not so handy. But the difference between a benchtop saw and a "good" saw is always shocking.
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

Whatever you do, if it's battery powered, do your best to stay away. All kidding aside....

I really dig the Ryobi series, and Craftsman of course. Just because there is so much cheaply available for them.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

The first place I always check is Craigslist. I didn't know what I'd need it for a few years back, but got a 12" Craftsman in a bunch of tools I bought. It cost me about $100 and only needed a new rubber on the top wheel. Parts can still be found reasonably for these saws too.

Take a look at Craigslist and if you find something you are interested in, check parts availability. Just like the old metal lathes, most older tools will work much better and be a better value for your dollar. Of course, that is, if you can work on them yourself.
Pipe Maker in the Making!