A Studdy Ingrain - "The Tilted Pot Story" by Mike Messer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ToddJohnson

Re: A Studdy Ingrain - "The Tilted Pot Story" by Mike Messer

Post by ToddJohnson »

Mike Messer wrote:To date, I have designed and built over $10 million in Architectural and Art products which have been sold.

M.M.
I once made a choo-choo-train from popsicle sticks. That is both an architectural and an art product. I was unable to sell it for $10 million, but I think it's because I didn't write a long, ridiculous, and completely irrelevant "story" about it first. One can never tell.

What's becoming clearer, though, is that you are either delusional or a crack addict. You're amusing, though. There's no arguing that.

TJ
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

ToddJohnson wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:To date, I have designed and built over $10 million in Architectural and Art products which have been sold.

M.M.
I once made a choo-choo-train from popsicle sticks. That is both an architectural and an art product. I was unable to sell it for $10 million, but I think it's because I didn't write a long, ridiculous, and completely irrelevant "story" about it first. One can never tell.

What's becoming clearer, though, is that you are either delusional or a crack addict. You're amusing, though. There's no arguing that.

TJ
I want to be very clear about this, so you won't think it is my imagination or your imagination...
I think we might accomplish more if we tried to keep on the subject, and keep it rational. For a negative example...
By 'long, ridiculous, completely irrelevant "story"' do you mean something like all that long, ridiculous, completely irrelevant B.S. on your blog?

I don't actually think my stories or your blog are ridiculous, but obviously, you like to twist things around, and load it with biased translation to serve you purpose, whatever it is, and while some of it is mildly amusing, some of it is just insulting slander, and not so amusing. Maybe, it is entertaining, but maybe, it a waste of time.

P.S. -I don't use drugs, legal or illegal, alcohol, or any other kind of illegal substances.
-I have done some party drinking in the past, mostly when I was in college. But
that was a long time ago.
-I have never in my life seen any crack, and I don't want to.

P.P.S. Did your choo-choo-train have a whistle?
Last edited by Mike Messer on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Mike Messer wrote:P.S. I like your "Mad Hatter" pipe and the images, although they are a bit too dark, IMO. The pipe is hard to see.
Thanks and I agree about the photos. It's still for sale btw. I'll cut you a deal on it for say $3200. :P
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

wdteipen wrote:....
Thanks and I agree about the photos. It's still for sale btw. I'll cut you a deal on it for say $3200. :P
Oh, God, I'm so sorry, Damn, I just spent my pipe allowance on this manufactured (made-by-hand) Dunhill Billiard, $4899 (MSRP $5128) Check it out:
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dp ... dunamr0mag

Nothing special like your "Mad Hatter" pipe, just an ordinary, but large, billiard with a briar bowl and an ebonite stem, but of course, the Dunhill stamp of quality.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Mike Messer wrote: P.P.S, Did your choo-choo-train have a whistle?
Yes, it was made of smelly ebonite with a Shore D hardness of 87.45624514514514367324151767 and a diameter of 21.342343434mm+/_that was purchased from Bob's Ebonite Emporium.

TJ

P.S. Glad you read the blog. It's always nice to hear from a fan.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I have just merely been lurking on this thread for a while.

HOLY $HIT!

Mike, regardless of what you think of Todd, Bruce, Rad, Sas, etc. my advice is (not to sound harsh but it is) "Shut thine own mouth" for a bit. I honestly felt bad for you at first. That changed when the level of disrespect elevated to an all time egocentric high.

I was lucky enough to spend a few days with Bruce and Todd. I took some of the "pipes" that I had made. They politely ripped them to shreds. Rightfully so. Although I may seem to incite riot occasionally, I still pay the "vets" on this forum with the proper respect for their knowledge. I was shown basics on how to follow a nice flowing continuous curve. I still can't nail it. But because I was shown, I work on it. They know what they are doing. Their work flow is amazing as are their attention to detail. All I can say is please listen to them. Sas, Rad and practiacally everyone else have given me very useful information and critiques. They have also given you the same advice over and over. If you are indeed real, you seem to be pushing buttons as well.

I can't warrant charging as much as I feel my pipes are worth. I will be dropping all of my prices accordingly. Good day gentlemen.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

bandkbrooks wrote: HOLY $HIT!
Brandon said a dirty word! Brandon said a dirty word!

Now, to be serious, just look at the progress Brandon has made. His pipes are REALLY coming along, outside of the kooky things! He has made wonderful strides and he understands the process. This ain't easy and simply takes time. Keep up the good work, Brandon.

Moderators, Brandon said a dirty word! Brandon said a dirty word! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Thank you Bruce. I appreciate the nod.

Mike all I can add to what I wrote earlier is get to basics. The "kookie" stuff that Bruce mentioned has gone under lock and key (with the exception of the pipe-in-the-hat trade) until I get better at the standard forms. They are harder than you think.

Holy $hit substitutions:
Sacred Excrement
Dedicated discharge
faithful fecal matter
immaculate dung

Please choose one so that I can go back and edit my original post.
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Please click here: SHAZAM! It's Thad Johnston's hero and the only off color word spoken in the shop. I prefer PIFFLE AND PODADDLE, but that is not acceptable shop talk.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Shazbot - Robin Williams - Is this acceptable shop talk as well?
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Such foul language! You both need to chew on a bar of ivory soap. :twak:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Owing to the time of year...

Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Life Buoy, on the other hand...
A Christmas Story
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

bandkbrooks wrote:I have just merely been lurking on this thread for a while.

HOLY $HIT!

Mike, regardless of what you think of Todd, Bruce, Rad, Sas, etc. my advice is (not to sound harsh but it is) "Shut thine own mouth" for a bit. I honestly felt bad for you at first. That changed when the level of disrespect elevated to an all time egocentric high.

I was lucky enough to spend a few days with Bruce and Todd. I took some of the "pipes" that I had made. They politely ripped them to shreds. Rightfully so. Although I may seem to incite riot occasionally, I still pay the "vets" on this forum with the proper respect for their knowledge. I was shown basics on how to follow a nice flowing continuous curve. I still can't nail it. But because I was shown, I work on it. They know what they are doing. Their work flow is amazing as are their attention to detail. All I can say is please listen to them. Sas, Rad and practiacally everyone else have given me very useful information and critiques. They have also given you the same advice over and over. If you are indeed real, you seem to be pushing buttons as well.

I can't warrant charging as much as I feel my pipes are worth. I will be dropping all of my prices accordingly. Good day gentlemen.
Very nice, polite, considerate, respectful, let's see if I can remember, trustworthy, clean, and reverent. I was a Boy Scout, once, Senior Patrol Leader, Eagle Scout, Order of The Arrow, all that... 8)
Thanks for the advice, bandy. Now, just as an illustration, you understand, I would like to see if you can take your own advice, in polite terms, of course. If I ever feel like I need a manager, I'll give you a call, but until then, if you would be so kind, do what you're told, take what you're given, shut the fuck up, and go home.
You see my point? :)

P.S. I like all you pipemakers, Todd, Bruce, Kurt, Rad, Sas, Tyler, even you, but when people get pushy with me, I push back. It's that simple, but no hard feelings. :)

P.P.S. This topic was no where near an "all time egocentric high. " If you have some time on your hands, and if you dare, read these topics: (I don't recommend it)

"Question About Ebonite Smell"
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4136

"ugly ebonite"
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4787

P.P.P.S. I was wondering. You joined the forum, Sat Aug 09, 2008, and posted a bit through Mon Sep 22, 2008. Then, nothing until Sat May 15, 2010. Why the big gap?
Last edited by Mike Messer on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mike,

Why are you here?

Rad
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

RadDavis wrote:Mike,

Why are you here?

Rad
Why am I where?

Okay, I guess what you mean by here is the Forum. Let's see. It was too cold, today, to go swimming. Yea, I think that's it. :lol:

Seriously. I'm into pipemaking, big time.

Okay, maybe this will help. I think I am part Doberman. I can be your best friend, risk my life to defend you, but if you ever put your hand near my food bowl when I'm eating, I'm gonna bite the crap out of you, figuratively speaking, of course.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

"...Todd, Bruce, Kurt, Rad, Sas, Tyler..."

Is this a game show of some kind?

Name 4 illustrious pipe makers and a mythical creature...
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Sasquatch wrote:"...Todd, Bruce, Kurt, Rad, Sas, Tyler..."

Is this a game show of some kind?

Name 4 illustrious pipe makers and a mythical creature...
In the bandkbrooks, quote, in my post, he listed the names, "Todd, Bruce, Rad, Sas, etc."...and so...in my response...I used the list, but I added a couple.
That's all.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Such a mouth for an Eagle Scout.

in·grain (n-grn)
tr.v. in·grained, in·grain·ing, in·grains
1. To fix deeply or indelibly, as in the mind: "A system that had been ingrained for generations could not be easily undone by change from the top" (Doris Kearns Goodwin).

You've definitely ingrained your self in everyone's brain here on the forum.

Quick question for you based off of this quote:
P.P.P.S. I was wondering. You joined the forum, Sat Aug 09, 2008, and posted a bit through Mon Sep 22, 2008. Then, nothing until Sat May 15, 2010. Why the big gap?
First - I don't know you so I would say it's none of your business

Second - I didn't feel I had much to contribute other than "hey that looks great", etc. So, as you so aptly put it, I "shut the f*** up" and did my best to watch and listen.

Third - What does your question have to do with anything remotely related to the topic at hand?

Someone please pull back the curtain...
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

bandkbrooks wrote:Such a mouth for an Eagle Scout.

in·grain (n-grn)
tr.v. in·grained, in·grain·ing, in·grains
1. To fix deeply or indelibly, as in the mind: "A system that had been ingrained for generations could not be easily undone by change from the top" (Doris Kearns Goodwin).

You've definitely ingrained your self in everyone's brain here on the forum.

Quick question for you based off of this quote:
First - I don't know you so I would say it's none of your business

Second - I didn't feel I had much to contribute other than "hey that looks great", etc. So, as you so aptly put it, I "shut the f*** up" and did my best to watch and listen.

Third - What does your question have to do with anything remotely related to the topic at hand?

Someone please pull back the curtain...
Okay, well done.
You got the point. :twisted:
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I *think* the point most people were getting at in this thread was about dismissing most of the advice or pointers given. That's just my take on it, could be wrong though.
An off topic thought, have you gotten feedback from your first few pipes sold or traded? I've heard a few on here mention trade between new makers to help hone their skills and see what areas they could improve upon, etc from the smokers feedback.That's what a few of us (local pipe making newbies) are woking on now. Just a thought though.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)