Cutting Tenons without Lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
ZeroContent

Cutting Tenons without Lathe

Post by ZeroContent »

I would search for this if the search function on this forum says that the word "tenon" is too common so it doesn't even try to search. What kind of search function is that if you can't even search a word?

Anywhoo, I'm looking to get into pipe making and I'm wondering what options I have for cutting tenons without a lathe. I also see stuff mentioned on this forum about derlin. What is derlin and why should I use it? Thanks.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Cutting Tenons without Lathe

Post by TRS »

Go to 'Stem Work'. The very top 'sticky' topic is 'Hand Cut Stems w/o a Lathe'.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Delrin is a slippery plastic made with teflon. It comes in rods conveniently sized exactly like we need them for pipe making. You can get this almost anywhere that sells raw materials, though I prefer McMaster-Carr since they also have one of darn near everything else exactly when I need it.

As for cutting tenons without a lathe. Well, it's difficult, and expensive, and not foolproof.

There's this product (tenon turner) from PIMO which can be mounted on a drill press or electric motor:
http://www.pimopipecraft.com/tools.html

And this one from JH Lowe:
http://www.jhlowe.com/machine_parts.htm

But largely, if you don't have a lathe, I would suggest using delrin for your tenons. It's easy, simple, and the process is well documented here.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ZeroContent

Post by ZeroContent »

oooooooh. Now i get it. Drill a hole into the Vulcanite then using epoxy insert a rod of derlin then go from there. Should but a summary at the top of the post. Drill a hole into the rod stock, insert derlin rod. Done.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Pretty much. Don't forget to groove, rough up, or otherwise make a method for a mechanical bond between the vulcanite and Delrin. By itself, delrin will resist the epoxy unless the epoxy can get into grooves or scuffs and hang on.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ZeroContent

Post by ZeroContent »

Thanks. :thumbsup:
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Yep, Delrin is my new found Love.....
My intent is to make weird pipes out of weird materials