Help: How to Loosen CA Glue

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Help: How to Loosen CA Glue

Post by staffwalker »

Instead of turning the shank and fitting an end cap over it, my method is to drill an over sized mortise in the shank, turn an end cap with a tenon, and fit it together. For some time I have used a couple drops of superglue, on the flat surfaces, only, never in between the mortise and tenon, to hold this end cap in place while I sand the shank and end cap to fit. When the pipe is complete I give the end cap a sharp twist, it separates and the last thing I do to the pipe is glue the shank and end cap together with epoxy. Never had a problem but have always used some type of wood for the end cap. This time I used Ebonite, might be a mistake, it doesn't release with a sharp twist, nor with many hard twists. Guess Ebonite glues to briar better than wood to briar. Anyone have a way of making the Superglue, (CA) release??? Keep in mind, the pipe is finished except to remove the end cap and epoxy the two together so any method of removal that would harm the finish or stain is to be avoided. bob gilbert
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Help: How to Loosen CA Glue

Post by KurtHuhn »

Acetone might do the job, or there's also this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200034 ... unces.aspx
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

KurtHuhn wrote:Acetone might do the job, or there's also this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200034 ... unces.aspx
We have a similar solvent to use on our aircraft CA glues and it works quite well, I bet that would do nicely! I have also been told heat will help free up a CA bond, anyone else know this to be true?
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Thanks guys but I can't see anyway to get any kind of liquid between the two pieces. I would think the solution to my problem would have to be something else such as heat or cold. bob gilbert
SWM

Post by SWM »

Hi Bob,

I think so too. You could probably try to deepfreeze it and then do your sharp twist. Or deepfreeze it first then defrost it and hope the small change in size the different materials are undergoing in this process will get the job done.

But before you break it maybe better leave it...

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
CedarSlayer

Post by CedarSlayer »

SWM wrote:Hi Bob,

I think so too. You could probably try to deepfreeze it and then do your sharp twist. Or deepfreeze it first then defrost it and hope the small change in size the different materials are undergoing in this process will get the job done.

But before you break it maybe better leave it...

Best,

Steffen
Steffen has given you what is probably the best method in this instance. Water weakens the bond. CA is not strong vs impact or sheer. Cold weakens the bond, heat weakens the bond. Deepfreeze and vibration, sharp impact or rotation are all good options. Steam and rotation may also do well. good luck in any case.

I have at times used white flour and water to glue wood together parts that I wanted to turn and still split apart later. One time I had a piece glued so well that I feared trying to take it apart. On a damp day, it fell open on it's own.

Bob
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/
taharris

Post by taharris »

In the future try gluing a piece of paper into the joint.

Should give you the strength you need for light turning and also help ensure your joint is weak enough to separate when you are done.