Sealing

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
buster

Sealing

Post by buster »

I want to keep the rough top of the block, but cant get all the bark(?) off. Was wondering if I could stain it and seal it some how as to where the bark wont fall off. I tried using a wire and a nylon brush but the nylon brush did nothing and the wire brush started leaving marks which I want to avoid.
MrJeff

Re: Sealing

Post by MrJeff »

What if you soak the bark in water? Wouldn't that soften it up to the point that you could get it off much easier with a brush?
buster

Post by buster »

Maybe, but how long would I have to let it dry after I did that.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

In the absence of a sandblaster, it's sometimes easiest just to pick the bark off manually. If you try to leave it and seal it with something, it will eventually come loose anyway.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Use a stiff wire brush like the ones auto parts places sell to remove rust. It will leave marks but they will only add to the allure of the roughness of the top. If you don't want those marks, (by the way, you won't be able to determine what was natural and what was caused by the brush when the pipe is completed), then it's easy to do with water and something like a dental pick. Just hold the block under the faucet for a few seconds, sit back down in your favorite chair and dig off the loosened bark with the pick. It will dry in a few minutes, when that happens, repeat the process. You can get all the bark off this way. It will take awhile to do so but it will work. Don't worry about the wetting of the block, you don't hold it under the water any longer than you would do if wetting the block to see the grain. There is no need to soak it, a few seconds is all that is needed.

I use a wire brush which will remove 90-95% of the bark but there is always some left afterward. I then use the water trick. Not only does the water loosen the bark but it makes the remaining bark easy to see and remove. Without the water it is hard to determine the left over bark from what may be dark discoloration under the bark. Many block have a discoloration underneath while others do not. bob gilbert