best files for pipemaking

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kola

Post by kola »

What are the best files for pipemaking? (this includes files for stummel work and stem work)

In the past I have purchased some other tools for LeeVally and their Gransfor tools. Great stuff. I do not want cheap files that break in half or dull after one use. (ala "WallyWorld or "made in china")

Kola
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: best files for pipemaking

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nicholson is generally considered to be of consistently high quality. I've never been disappointed by that brand.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Nicholson makes good files.

Get a 1/2 round rasp, 8", a full round rasp tapering from 3/16 or so up to 3/8" or so, a couple of flat files with "safe edges" which is to say they have no teeth on the sides, and as fine a file as you can find for touch ups. Nicholson makes a tiny little flat file, I can't remember what it's called, or you can find them at jeweller-supply places. These are known in the industry is "pillar" files. George Dibos put me onto these and they are great for final work.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kola

Post by kola »

mucho gracias.

press 1 for English.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
kola

Post by kola »

Thanks gents!
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I've had success with the Iwasaki files Woodcraft sells. I had some cheap HF ones that I quit bothering with pretty quickly. Once I started using the Iwasaki ones I became a big fan of using files to dial in final shaping and for stem work.

Micah
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'll second Nicholson files. They're good quality and easy to find. I do have trouble finding them with a safe edge so I grind down a safe edge on mine on my own. I like double cuts for quick removal and single for more refined work before moving to nail files and sandpaper.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com