Treadmill Motors?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
MadTinker

Treadmill Motors?

Post by MadTinker »

I am looking to set up a Treadmill Motor Sander. How is the Sanding Pad Attached?? Is it like a 4" Angle Grider Set-Up?? Any Help wood be cool....
My intent is to make weird pipes out of weird materials
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Treadmill Motors?

Post by KurtHuhn »

That depends on your motor. Treadmill motors have a variety of shaft sizes and configurations. Some are standard 1/2" or 5/8" shaft, and others are a wacky size with left hand threads. Rarely is it as easy as spinning on a backup pad from an angle grinder.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
FredS

Re: Treadmill Motors?

Post by FredS »

Mine had an odd sized shaft. I got it all wired up (with the original speed control), turned it on, and used a series of files to get it down to a half inch diameter. You'll need to use a micrometer (or calipers as long as you can use them accurately) to get the size right. Then you can order an arbor from Kurt to mount the disc. I've been using this set up for about 2 years and love it. In fact, I have another treadmill waiting in the wings for a similar treatment.

"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford