Bowl bits Shape discussion

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
BDP

Post by BDP »

All,

Let's start a second topic on tool shape. One topic for joining in on the tools, and this one for discussing shape...I am open to suggestions, but we all have to come to an agreement on final shape, and then that's what they will all be.

A. Conical
B. Tapered bottom and straight walls about 3/4 of the way down from top
C. Radius on bottom to match diameter of bowl

These are three possibilities...

Thoughts?
Tano

Re: Bowl bits Shape discussion

Post by Tano »

I presently have 2- 11/16 radius bottom, 1-3/4 tapered, and 1-13/16 radius. In the original order they were all tapered so I altered three of them by rounding the tip slightly. Therefore, I would be very interested in conical.
Brad, do you think it would help the newbies if you drew a simple shape of the different styles?
All the best,
Tano
Walle

Post by Walle »

Tano wrote:
Brad, do you think it would help the newbies if you drew a simple shape of the different styles?
Can you draw, Brad?

Cheerio!
rupi (=Walle)
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

I'm also interested in Conical, at least I think that's what I want. Like Tano, I have a set of your last bits and they are great! I radiused the tip on the 3/4" one and it's my main workhorse. After pilot drilling and working my way up with a couple of modified S&D bits I use the 11/16" inch bit exactly as it came from you, and then follow that up with the radiused 3/4" to get the final chamber shape I like for most pipes. Sometimes for a slightly larger chamber I open it up further with the 13/16" just as you sent it, but don't take that all the way to the bottom so I still have the rounded bottom from the radiused 3/4" bit.

Would conical be similar to the ones Tom Eltang used to sell?

From Pia Pipes, no longer available:

Something along those lines only with your excellent workmanship would be a perfect compliment to what I have from you now. And my guess is they would also be great for those who are buying their first set.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

sethile wrote: Image
Oh, I dig that taper, but I'm easy: all I care about is that the bits are Palladium - other than whatever profile you want is fine.

Of the options you mentioned, I'd lean towards C. Thanks for working on this for us Brad!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Mr. Pohldancer,
First, thanks for doing this. It is generous of you to invest your time an knowledge for us. A sincere thanks.
I'm good with any set but would very much like to have at least one conical bit.
Additionally, do you think this would help in creating as fine a pipe, as you so skillfully do, on a consistent basis?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

baweaverpipes wrote: Additionally, do you think this would help in creating as fine a pipe, as you so skillfully do, on a consistent basis?
[with fingers crossed] Please say yes...Please say yes...Please say yes!
BDP

Post by BDP »

baweaverpipes wrote: Additionally, do you think this would help in creating as fine a pipe, as you so skillfully do, on a consistent basis?
Bruce, you are so full of crap!!! and a hillbilly to boot!! :fencing:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Did this tomfoolery give you the answer you needed Brad? Do you need more info from us? Thanks.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Brad,

I like the idea of having at least one conical bit (A) in the set. I'm ok with either of the other two options for the rest. One question about option (B). Will that shape leave a slight ridge in the chamber where the taper starts? I ask because I have two S&D bits ground this way, that leave a visible ridge (maybe not the best word), and it bugs me a little. The chamber walls are smooth, but I can see where the taper started and I'm not a huge fan of how it looks. Thanks again.

Micah
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

A. Conical
B. Tapered bottom and straight walls about 3/4 of the way down from top
C. Radius on bottom to match diameter of bowl
Brad, I know this will not do much towards answering your ABC question but here goes anyhow. I would dearly love the three, (A,B & C), in 3/4" size. From what I can gather by looking at pipes for sale on the net and from looking at many makers at the six shows I have attended, perhaps 75-90% of all pipes made are 3/4" chamber. It would be really nice to have the three shapes you offered in that size. The fourth one could be any shape and any size.

I have the last set you made and have used all of them but only the 3/4" on a consistent basis. I have drilled ten chambers with the 3/4" to every one chamber with the other three. It's really nice to have the other sizes but the truth is they aren't used much. As Scott T. said about the 3/4" he had modified, "It's my workhorse." The 3/4" is the workhorse for most of us here, so why not different shapes in it?

Having said all that, I'm just glad you are again offering to make bits and I will be happy with whatever the group chooses. bob gilbert
BDP

Post by BDP »

Bob,

You bring up some really good points... I would agree with you on the 3/4, but aren't you glad you have the others when needed. Still, great input and worth consideration!

Brad
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Ooh! I've been out of touch for a week or so and look what I've missed! :filth-n-foul:
Yes, I have your last set, I'd be interested in conical bits!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Bob,

You bring up some really good points... I would agree with you on the 3/4, but aren't you glad you have the others when needed. Still, great input and worth consideration!

Brad
Brad. Yes, I'm very glad to have the others. Still, without them, I would be able to drill the occasional odd size hole with a modified spade. My day to day drilling, (as I suspect are most people), is with the 3/4. Keep in mind, many of the people here who were lucky enough to get in on your last make, have the other sizes, albeit with the pointee tip. bob gilbert