Drill press for motor setup?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
caskwith

Re: Drill press for motor setup?

Post by caskwith »

As Rad points out, you dont need lots of speeds. If you only have one speed available then you soon learn to make that work for everything. Similarly even if you have a huge range of speeds available you will oftne find that after a while you tend to stick to one or two speeds.

I have 9 speeds available to me for sanding. I use about 2 of them lol. I rough sand on a 40 grit disc at 3000rpm, i also do most of my final shaping at this speed also. Absolute final tweeking and use of certain special sanding discs is done at a lower speed, about 12000RPM I think. i also have a very large disc that gets used at 300rpm as its a bit scary at high speeds lol.

Though I dont use all my speeds available i like having them there, plus a drill press comes with motor, pulleys and bearings included for less than the cost of a stand alone motor, and the built in chuck makes adding discs, brushes etc so simple. So it makes sense really.
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

Sasquatch wrote:Just when a guy thinks he might learn something on this forum.... *poof* in an explosion of sarcasm. Perhaps we're running the wrong software?

Thanks Sas.

The point of the question was really less about what people's opinion of multiple speeds is, and more about since I want multiple speeds if anyone has tried using a disassembled drill press for this. Yes I could buy a motor and have one speed, and then buy a chuck and so on. Or I could get a drill press some schmuck has had sitting around doing nothing for 75$ disassemble it and not only have the motor and chuck, but also the pulley setup for multiple speeds.

So Thank you Sas and Kurt for more on topic responses.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

caskwith wrote:As Rad points out, you dont need lots of speeds. If you only have one speed available then you soon learn to make that work for everything. Similarly even if you have a huge range of speeds available you will oftne find that after a while you tend to stick to one or two speeds.

I have 9 speeds available to me for sanding. I use about 2 of them lol. I rough sand on a 40 grit disc at 3000rpm, i also do most of my final shaping at this speed also. Absolute final tweeking and use of certain special sanding discs is done at a lower speed, about 12000RPM I think. i also have a very large disc that gets used at 300rpm as its a bit scary at high speeds lol.

Though I dont use all my speeds available i like having them there, plus a drill press comes with motor, pulleys and bearings included for less than the cost of a stand alone motor, and the built in chuck makes adding discs, brushes etc so simple. So it makes sense really.

And Cask, thank you as well.

Does anyone know of some pictures of this setup? If not What I will do is take pictures as I make the conversion and I can make a little topic on it alongside any problems I may have run into.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote: I guess I'm just not a macho pipe maker.
Have you tried wearing chaps in the workshop? Now that would be macho!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

One thing to consider when buying the cheaper second hand drill presses, is their condition. I got a seemingly good one at the jockey lot for $33, got it home and tried it out, spindle bearings all out of whack. Spent a week tinkering with getting it true, so it drills fine with twist drills, but the bearings are so weak that a forstner bit goes nuts on it. Which I'm sure wold worsen as the attachments got larger
(i.e.- sanding discs, etc)
Still a good idea you've got, just be sure to inspect it thoroughly before dropping any cash, because having to replace certain parts gets pricey and very agitating. Just a heads up, Good luck!
Oh, and P.S.- be sure you mount it securely, adding rubber bushings to my mounting points helped tremendously with vibration and truing it up :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)