Swooped shank Brandy? First pipe completed

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Dixie_piper

Swooped shank Brandy? First pipe completed

Post by Dixie_piper »

Nothing to write home about, but a lot was learned in the bastardizing of this one. The ring is hiding a huge fissure that made a flush fit stem out of my reach. Stem is Tim West fancy (lucite) slightly altered, briar is from Tim as well. Hope to make VAST improvements with pipes yet to come!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Re: Swooped shank Brandy? First pipe completed

Post by Dixie_piper »

Oh, forgot to add that the chamber is 3/4", left the other measurements at home, but that's a 100g tin if that gives any idea on size of the pipe. And the stain is black/natural contrast, and yes, my methods are in dire need of tweaking ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
taharris

Post by taharris »

I like it.

That pipe is miles ahead of my first pipe.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks! :)
My first attempt was a disaster, I got careless at the sanding wheel and destroyed the rim. That poor piece of briar turned into an experimental piece for certain odd angles, staining, polishing, etc. I still smoke it, but it look like Dr. Frankensteins handy work :lol:
This one I spent an easy 20+ hours on collectively. It was originally intended to be an apple, but that idea was changed... many times. The ultimate decider was that I (merely by chance) saw this shape forming at the wheel and just went with it.

The best advice ever was to just make one, I learned so much here I figured it'd be cake, boy was I wrong!
Thanks again! ;)

*EDIT* I meant to add, one reason it took so long was in attempt to learn as much as possible, and trying not to rush things (which I did anyway in the end) and Steffan, kudos for having the patience and to shape @ 40 grit, I tried it, man alive it takes forever to get those scratches out with 220. So bravo and much respect, but it's 80 grit for me ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Have you thought about putting a slight bend in that stem Adam? I'd call that stummel 1/8 bent, and the pipe would look good that way.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Honestly I have, I may actually do that now that you mention it. I was a little hesitant because I'm not 100% sure where I would need to start the bend. But I do think the bend would look better.
I'll search around for pics online to get an idea tonight and try the bend in the morning.
Thanks Todd! :thumbsup:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hey Dixie,
I like the looks of this pipe ,it has a ripe appearance and the coloring is underlining the shape.The ring fits as it should on the whole idea .
Congrats !

Best,
Abi

ps; thou the pictures could have been clearer and brighter.
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks Abi! The kind words are much appreciated :)
I feel the same about the pics, I tried using my fiancee's camera but my memory card is shot so a no go there. Face to face, it's a bit lighter. Not to mention the scratches that reared their ugly head after polishing; 2 on the left of the shank and a couple on the ball of the stem. Just trying to be honest about it ;)
Thanks again! :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dixie_piper wrote:Honestly I have, I may actually do that now that you mention it. I was a little hesitant because I'm not 100% sure where I would need to start the bend. But I do think the bend would look better.
I'll search around for pics online to get an idea tonight and try the bend in the morning.
Thanks Todd! :thumbsup:
Have you got a heat gun? Failing that, you can try the alcohol lamp method. Or, if you have neither, Bob Gilbert (I think) once described using a Bic lighter. Failing all of that, or not wanting to put open flam near your stem, you can bring a bit of water to a boil and stick the part you want to bend into the water. Keep the tenon out of the water, because you don't want that to change shape or dimension. Check it regularly, and when it's pliable, give it a slight bend. I used this method for my first dozen pipes or so - it's slow, and tedious, and doesn't get Ebonite quite hot enough (vulcanite is usually okay though), so I switched to the heat gun.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

If you put a bit of salt in the water it will boil at a higher temperature.

I just put two cups of water in a bowl with about a tablespoon or two of salt and the stem.

Pop the whole thing in the microwave until it is boiling merrily.

Bend the stem to where you want it and then run it under cold water to set.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I used the trusty home made alcohol lamp. Better? I'm still adjusting to figuring out the pliability factor, so probably not great at bending just yet. Thanks again folks! :thumbsup: Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated as well :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Much better! :thumbsup:

Now make another pipe. :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

KurtHuhn wrote:Much better! :thumbsup:

Now make another pipe. :D
Thanks! :)

Aww, do I HAVE to make another one? *sigh* if you insist :lol:
Thanks again for all the help with my inceasant questions
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Wow! That slight little bend makes a huge difference. I like it even more now. Great work!
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Many thanks! :)
I have to agree, in hindsight I should've bent it from the beginning. Got a bit anxious to finish, as well as nervous about screwing up the last stem I had at the time.

Oh, and P.S.- just to be a bit more honest, that ring? Yeah, came out of a bubble gum machine many many moons ago :lol: Best 25 cents I've spent yet :lol:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Dixie,

That little bit of a bend just brought the whole thing together. Great looking pipe.

Okay while we are on bending stems....acrylic is a pain in the a$$. Any recommendations for bending the stuff without cracking it?

BB
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks for the kinds words! :)
I have no advice to give on bending acrylic, all I've dealt with thus far is Lucite, sorry :(
But if I had to guess, the boiling water trick may work? Dunno, never tried it.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Acrylic (also called Lucite), can be a real pain to bend. Especially if the stem is injection molded instead of machined, and if your rod stock is extruded instead of cast. Just go slow, and apply even heat to all sides of the stem.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

My bad, for some reason I was thinking they were different :oops:
In that case, all I can say is that whatever Tim uses at JH Lowe, isn't too bad to bend with the alcohol lamp. The heating is tricky because it goes straight from warm to OMG it's gonna melt! :lol: but once it gets malleable, you've got about 8 seconds before it stiffens up, I usually hold the bend at least 10 seconds and that cuts back on it straightening once I let off.
I've yet to tempt fate with the rodstock from PME just yet, but I can't wait to try it :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)