2nd pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

2nd pipe

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Hey guys, finished my second pipe yesterday and started shaping on the third. This pipe is simllar to the first, although not as compact and hopefully a lot more defined in the shaping. I used a ebuchon block, turned on its side to try to get some flame on the sides. When i sanded though, most if it was lost. I am still having a few issues with stem fit, as well as the yellow stain bleeding into the black causing a green tint. I have a few questions about the shaping. Do you think the chin needs to be taken back a bit twords the center of the bowl? It was something i noticed, but wasnt sure if it would help make the pipe flow better. Also, the rim of the bowl has A "step" on the top, would it be better visually to continue the chamfer all the way to the tobacco chamber, rather leave the flat portion? Please feel free to add any corrections you think might help in future pipes. I probably needed to define the bowl/shank a little to seperate the top portion of the diamond shank from the bowl. On the close up picture you can obviously see some sanding marks i missed after staining. thats embarrassing!
Anyway, here are the pictures, thanks for looking.
Joe

Sasquatch

Re: 2nd pipe

Post by Sasquatch »

I like to leave a flat spot or a bevel on the rim just so it's less likely to burn as it might if you leave a sharp point there.

As to shaping, I wouldn't be looking for "flow" on a 4" pipe. It's a solid muscular little pig, so make it so. I'd leave the bowl very heavy on the chin for a real punchy presence, but that's just me.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

sas
I appreciateyour input. I was thinking the same thing on the rim chamfer. It just seemed like a lot of things could go wrong if the briar was thinned near the rim of the chamber. The chin seemed too big when i finished shaping, but the pictures look ok, so maybe thats some photo trickery. I just finished pipe 3, A standard billiard. Took it out to buff, the shank was too thin and cracked when i put pressure against the stem against the wheel. feel like i wasted a lot of time being careful and then screwed it up. I think i'll wait a few days before start the next.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

I like your pipe. And i would say for your 2nd pipe, its not bad at all. I can only hope that my 1st pipe will look half as good as your 2nd pipe. Keep up the good work, and keep moving foreword! :D
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

"...feel like i wasted a lot of time being careful and then screwed it up..."

Welcome to pipe making. :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!