Briar Therapy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Briar Therapy

Post by billiard »

Hi all,

I don't post much as I am keeping my mouth shut and trying to learn but as this is the first pipe I have made since the last one I posted I thought I would post it too:

It's got some real nice birdseye on the rim even though I can't take a photo of it:

Even though it is falling over in this pic due to my lame attempt at putting it inside a box to cur down the glare you can see some of the birsdeye here:

I have a long way to go yet in pipe making but I am being real honest when I say I am just doing this for fun in my garage every once in awhile. Free to critique good or bad, if it is worth your time to leave a comment. The internals are real nice and it is the closest I have come to having a tool mark free tenon while still having a proper fit. It does butt up against the Mortise floor but tenon end is not a perfect 90 degree. Figured I should leave it like that rather than having any gap.

As we all know tools do not matter but I still want to point out that after using the drill press I did everything else on this with hand tools (no electricity) by using a hack saw, a chisel, 3 files, and a whole bunch of sand paper. Why? Because it's cheaper than going to therapy! :)

Thanks much for looking at my pipe,
Bill

PS - stem needs a cleaning I guess, still some stuff off the buffer on it.
Boekweg

Re: Briar Therapy

Post by Boekweg »

It looks good to me. Im still sitting here staring at my 1st pipe kit (Pimo's Ebauchon/bent) and reading the book "Pimo's Guide To Pipe Crafting At Home" I figure i better do alot of reading before i decide to "fubar" this block of briar lol. Any way, keep up the good work, looks like your doing just fine to me. :thumbsup:
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A very meritorious.
I think you should have contrasted more with the grain, the pipe is due.
Regards.
Felix

Un trabajo muy meritorio.
Opino que deberías de haber contrastado mas la veta, la pipa se lo merece.
Saludos.
Félix
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thank you both for the feedback.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I have relegated myself to only making just billiards for a while in order to study truly the most difficult shape to master. The length proportions of stem to stummel and shank to bowl look pretty good. Looking at the 1st and 2nd photo what I'm seeing is just a shade too much material on the chin. The main things that you should check out though are the back of the bowl and the "cheeks" next to the shank. There's too much material there. This is also making the back of the bowl slope too much of a different angle that the front.

Therapy? It's the work of crazy obsessive compulsive people. :lol:

Brandon
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks very much Brandon. Went on quite a bit of a diet since my last pipe but obviously more weight to lose, so I will work harder on that for my next pipe.

Thanks again,
Bill