2nd pipe kit

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DOMD

2nd pipe kit

Post by DOMD »

Here is my second pipe came out kinda messed up my fault/wood bubbles. It had alot of imperfections which ended up teaching me alot about wood. I figured I would finish it anyways. Also decided to leave a couple of the chisel marks. Its an block from Norwoods Pipe Repair. Definitely not an cheap hobby but an fun one.

I used transfast dye 1 very thin black coat and 4 or 5 very thin light oaks coats. Then diamond buff and then carnuba wax.
Boekweg

Re: 2nd pipe kit

Post by Boekweg »

DOMD, I hate to say this but your 2nd pipe kinda looks like your 1st pipe except your stem is different and your shank isn't as "fubar'ed". Do you have any stain? i personally would have stained it a darker color to match the stem. (im no expert or anything and far from it) I still love the fact that you love making pipes and that in itself is very cool. Even if it turns out that all my pipes turn out to be under par, i think i will still enjoy making them. Keep moving foreword! :thumbsup:
DOMD

Post by DOMD »

I went with an light stain so you can see some of the ok grain. Thanks for commenting. I think is gonna be a long road for me but, I'm sure liking it so far even though My pipes come out not so good haha
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Let us know when you start carving that block. ;)
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I recommend you watch a lot on the web and also seeking similar results, both in regard to the ways of the nozzles.
Regards.
Felix

Te recomiendo que mires mucho en la web, y procures obtener similares resultados, tanto en lo que se refiere a las formas como a las boquillas.
Saludos.
Félix
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

How much are you paying for your pipe kit? the only one i saw on that site (norwoods pipe repair) was like $30.00
Massis

Post by Massis »

Mine kost €22 ($30USD) each, with a minimum order of €60 ($85) and then shipping for another €13 ($16USD)
DOMD

Post by DOMD »

Boekweg wrote:How much are you paying for your pipe kit? the only one i saw on that site (norwoods pipe repair) was like $30.00
Yeah 30.00 plus 3.00 for shipping I like the way his pipes smoke so in theory it will smoke as good as his pipes he sells.
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

The hardest thing to learn when first starting out is that it is okay to keep going, and remove a lot of wood. That looks like a nice block.
Regards,
Tim
DOMD

Post by DOMD »

TimGeorge wrote:The hardest thing to learn when first starting out is that it is okay to keep going, and remove a lot of wood. That looks like a nice block.
I get scared of going to far with saws.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Get yourself a rasp, a flat file, and a round chainsaw file and some sandpaper and remove more wood.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

wdteipen wrote:Get yourself a rasp, a flat file, and a round chainsaw file and some sandpaper and remove more wood.

A LOT more. :)

Rad
DOMD

Post by DOMD »

Thanks guys I'm leaving as is but next time Ill take more wood off.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

DOMD wrote:Thanks guys I'm leaving as is but next time Ill take more wood off.

A LOT more.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:
DOMD wrote:Thanks guys I'm leaving as is but next time Ill take more wood off.

A LOT more.

Rad
lol