Stem polishing suggestions?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Stem polishing suggestions?

Post by Tyler »

I spend WAY too much time sanding stems, then polishing, then re-sanding to get out the scratches that I can now see, then re-polishing, then re-sanding, etc. ad nauseum. One reason I have so many pipes that sit unfinished is because of this step. I hate this process.

I don't know if my problem is crappy polishing compound or poor methodology, but I would love suggestions.

Todd, you mentioned to me in Chicago last year that scraping the stem with a sharp knife was a nice trick, but I haven't had much success. I must be doing something wrong.

Help?!?!

Tyler
abbeypipes

finishing

Post by abbeypipes »

tyler
I used to have exactly the same situation when I used to be turning wooden bowls,the way I got round this was to start with abrasive that is not too rough,and carefully examine the sanding after each grit ,the rough grits can be uneven and make scratches not apparent to the eye I found using a stronger pair of glasses than I normally wear,a magnifying glass would also do to examine the sanding after each each pass.For my experience it was down to using too rough a grit at the beginning of the process.Another thing to watch is that a piece of grit somehow getting into the finer abrasives when sanding .Sanding is often seen as the pain in all types of woodworking ,pipes being no different ,and sometimes you take all the care you can and still find a rogue scratch----I guess it is is a pain not being perfect----arghhhh I hope this helps
abbeypipes
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Tyler,

I can't help you much with sanding suggestions, but for final polishing, I would recommend tan, very fine high gloss buffing compound. Used with a soft wheel at lower rpm, it results in a very high gloss on vulcanite and a glass like finish on acrylic.

Grizzly sells it in 2 1/2 pound bars for $18 part # H0815

Regards,

Mike
abbeypipes

polishing

Post by abbeypipes »

tyler
randoms suggestions are good regarding the scraper,some woodworkers also use a cabinet scraper to create a fine surface ,they come in a manner of different shapes and I use them sometimes to shape a stem.They are sharpened by a special tool called a burnisher,which creates a minute burr edge to aid scraping.You can create different degrees of burr depending on how hard you press with the burnisher,if you don't want to go to the expense, a round sharpening stone will do.Another tip I found useful which I forgot to mention is that after each pass with abrasive go over it with 4oooo steel wool it cleans the sanding up and enables you see any scratches you may have missed
regards
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Thanks for the tips guys!

Anyone else have anything?

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

I usually just spit on the stems and the rub 'em really hard. Some times people give me funny looks, but usually I can get a good shine. Although, it seems everyone wants to add their own touched when I polish their stems. They inevitably wipe the stem on their pants or a cloth or somthing. I bet they see how fun it is and want to join in.
marks

Post by marks »

Some times people give me funny looks, but usually I can get a good shine.
Nick, do you think the funny looks enhance or detract from the shine? Just curious.... :)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Definatly enhance.

This is due to the fact that when confronted with the "funny look" my heart beat usually increases. This in turn causes the polishing motion which I'm engaged in to increase.
marks

Post by marks »

Nick, for some reason, that actually makes sense. :D
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Old school woodworkers use scrapers rather than sandpaper to finish the surfaces. I was speaking with one such woodworker (My Grandfather) last week, he told me that broken plate glass makes a good scraper on softer materials. When it goes dull you just rebreak it.

The scrapers they use are very thin pieces of metal almost like razors. They are so sharp you are almost afraid to touch them.

something like this

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... currency=2

marks

Post by marks »

pipemaker wrote:Tyler,

I can't help you much with sanding suggestions, but for final polishing, I would recommend tan, very fine high gloss buffing compound. Used with a soft wheel at lower rpm, it results in a very high gloss on vulcanite and a glass like finish on acrylic.

Grizzly sells it in 2 1/2 pound bars for $18 part # H0815

Regards,

Mike
I just got my order of tan compound from Grizzly this week and buffed an acrylic stem with it this weekend. My, oh my, what a difference this compound makes in the end product.

A HUGE thank you to Mike for the tip!!!