Fixable or firewood??

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
hammer8

Fixable or firewood??

Post by hammer8 »

I made a bent billiard for myself a year or so ago, and over the weekend after finishing a bowl I noticed a funny looking spot on the shank. Not being one to let anything unusual alone, I scraped at it with my fingernail only to expose a small hole going through to the draft hole- a sand pit or something that was just under the finished surface must have opened up.

So my question is this- can this pipe be repaired?

As it is a "shop pipe" for my own use, I'm not really concerned about looks, just function. I really like the way it smokes.

My first thought was to plug it with epoxy or something, but I'm leery about doing that as the epoxy would actually be exposed to the tobacco smoke in the draft hole.

The proper way to fix it would probably drill the draft hole out to accept 5/32" ID tubing, however I sanded the briar too thin along the top of the shank to make this possible.

Another option would be to insert 5/32" OD tubing into the draft hole, but I'm worried that by doing this and reducing the diameter of the draft hole would really screw up how this pipe smokes.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Don
RadDavis

Re: Fixable or firewood??

Post by RadDavis »

Mix up a small dab of epoxy putty (JB Weld or similar) and plug the hole. It'll be fine.

Rad
hammer8

Post by hammer8 »

Thanks for the advice Rad- I appreciate it!
Don
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

@ Rad
Is JB Weld stainable? If not is there one you recommend that would be stainable? I've got one of those "Aw crap! I guess this one is mine" pipes.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

bandkbrooks wrote:@ Rad
Is JB Weld stainable? If not is there one you recommend that would be stainable? I've got one of those "Aw crap! I guess this one is mine" pipes.

JB Weld is gray and not stainable. With pipes like this, I never worry about staining. You might try plastic wood if you want to stain, though I have no idea whether it will work.

Rad