A brief procedure on the use of delrin tenons

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
caskwith

Re: A brief procedure on the use of delrin tenons

Post by caskwith »

Personally even thought i have the tooling to make integral tenons, and do make them every now and again. I still prefer delrin. Its a consistent material, makes for a nice fit with little danger of snapping off and its much more resilient.
GBMorris

Post by GBMorris »

KurtHuhn wrote:Well, the preferred material is ebonite - as in an integral tenon made of the same material as the rest of your stem.

However, if you do not have the tooling to cut integral tenons, delrin is a great way to make professional looking tenons that fit every damn time without fuss.
I see! But Why delrin as opposed to, say, some other type of plastic (even ebonite itself), metal, or even wood? Just because it's easy to work with and comes in the right size?

Thanks,
Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Aside from being consistent in size and quality, it also has self-lubricating qualities that provide a good feel when inserting the tenon into the mortis. It's also easy to work with while being an incredibly durable material.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

I recently purchased delrin from onlinemetals.com and the 5/16 bit I've got is a tad too small. Got a recommendation for which bit manufacturer fits that delrin so I don't have to buy a bunch to figure it out?

Thanks.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The large industrial/machine shop supply houses such as MSC, Travers etc. sell what are known as chucking reamers. These are ground to very close tolerances and can be had at nominal size or very slightly under size. Drill the mortise with a 19/64 (.296) bit then ream it and a 5/16 Delrin tenon will fit like a glove. Such reamers are relatively inexpensive. You may want to regrind the tip as these reamers have a small chamfer on the end that will leave a little undersize spot at the bottom of the mortise and it will prevent the tenon from bottoming out.
Chas.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

On the subject of bits...

If you want to reduce the number of bits you have to buy to check for fit and function, always opt for uncoated, HSS, short length drill bits. These tend to run much more consistently in size.

Also, don't lose the bit you finally find, and don't use it on anything else. I should remain dedicated to drilling mortises in briar.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
d_mc

Post by d_mc »

KurtHuhn wrote:LocTite sells this stuff:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/13/7/e ... Bonder.htm

It sets up in 7 minutes or so (longer for a full cure) and is designed for plastics. I stumbled on it by accident while looking for something else in the hardware store, and gave it a try. I won't use anything else now - it's damn near impossible to break the bond via mechanical means, and heating the stem hot enough to break the epoxy's bond would mean bad things overall for the pipe.
Sorry to go too far into minutia. . .but I can't find this "Plastic Bonder" epoxy available anywhere?

The same company now sells a "Plastic" epoxy (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053).
Is this the same stuff?

I really, really hope it is. Because I spent the last two weeks over-heating and dismantling all the "Heavy Duty" Loctite epoxied stems (Acrylic, with Delrin tenons) on my unsold pipes. Then I re-scored and re-glued with the Plastic Epoxy. All that just so I could be 100% sure one of my bonds couldn't loosen if someone overheated a pipe and removed the stem while hot.
. . .FYI, I destroyed at least half the stems/tenons/inlays during this process. And had to remake them. It sucked.

Really hoping I didn't just replace inappropriate (Heavy Duty) epoxy with something equally inappropriate (Plastic)?
Please tell me this is just Loctite changing names on the same product?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Good heavens man.... any epoxy will do if you score the thing and set up a mechanical bond. It's not like these have to withstand atmospheric re-entry.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sasquatch wrote:Good heavens man.... any epoxy will do if you score the thing and set up a mechanical bond. It's not like these have to withstand atmospheric re-entry.
Sas, that actually got me to "LOL".

If you need to buy what I use, turn to the Internet:
http://www.thehardwarecity.com/products ... er/6281653

I appreciate the need to perform experiments (you really have no idea), but good grief!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

I've been having a go at delrin for the last few weeks.

Unfortunately, the only diameter I could find for now was 6mm (0.23", which is about 15/64" I think) so it's a bit hard drilling a 3.5mm airway through it.

Concerning mortises I have also found that my drill bit is just a fraction too small. I solved this by dedicating a piece of delrin to reaming the mortise. I just chuck it in my drill press and spin it in to the mortise, after which I always have nice fitting tenon.

Might be a silly idea, but it seems to do the trick really good and kind of polishes the inside of the mortise aswell.
d_mc

Post by d_mc »

Sasquatch wrote:Good heavens man.... any epoxy will do if you score the thing and set up a mechanical bond. It's not like these have to withstand atmospheric re-entry.

Yeah, that's what I used to think, too.
Until I removed a stem early after smoking one of my pipes--the briar had expanded from the heat & moisture, and the "Heavy Duty" epoxy reverted to it's goo-stage. The tenon stuck in the shank, and the stem pulled free with no tenon inside.
This wasn't a recent pipe either. It was at least a couple months old. Way more than enough time for every bit of epoxy inside to fully cure.

That's when I decided "Heavy Duty" wasn't good enough.
Of the 20 or so pipes I re-glued. Maybe 5 really needed it. For those, 15 seconds under a heatgun and I could pull either the tenon, or a stem insert, free.

Perhaps fixing *every* unsold pipe was a little obsessive. But I'm glad I did it.
I had horrible visions of someone buying a pipe, then posting pics of it a month later with the tenon stuck in the shank and the caption "Umm, WTF!".

(btw, thanks for the direct link to Loctite Plastic Bonder, Kurt!)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, fair enough, that would freak me out too, but I suspect something was wrong with your original glue. I've used the LePage 5 minute epoxy for many, many glue ups and never had anyone say anything failed, so I tend to under think this end of things. If I found a pipe that came apart as a gooey mess after a couple months, I'd undo my entire stock too, to be honest, but that's really, really weird.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

FWIW, when I ordered some Delrin tenons from Tim West, he suggested using (and I hope I spell this right) cyanoacrylate. I have seen it listed as CA glue on some pen turning sites. Right now I am using Loctite Plastic epoxy and it seems to work, but I have not put anything to an extreme test either.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

CA or superglue isn't very good at resisting shear loads and it sets very hard making it brittle.
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Maybe I'll just stick with plastic epoxy till I have a problem.
taharris

Post by taharris »

caskwith wrote:CA or superglue isn't very good at resisting shear loads and it sets very hard making it brittle.
I believe it also softens when heated.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

taharris wrote:
caskwith wrote:CA or superglue isn't very good at resisting shear loads and it sets very hard making it brittle.
I believe it also softens when heated.
And is not waterproof once set, in my experience.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

But I don't smoke underwater. Sorry Kurt, sometimes my bad self makes me do these things.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Open up your airway like most pros do - then you can use it like a snorkel. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I have been using the score and epoxy method to attach the delrin tenon to the stem, but I have recently viewed another pipemaker that is threading the connection. He still uses a little epoxy just in case, but it is really a good tight fit and will have little to no chance of popping out. Even if it comes out from turning counter clockwise, it can be put right back in by twisting clockwise.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies