Breaking Wave

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Breaking Wave

Post by jogilli »

Good day all.. I decided to call this one breaking wave... comments like always are welcome

James

look close and you can see my reflection in this one... ha
Nate

Re: Breaking Wave

Post by Nate »

Very unique shape James, and the fit and finish looks nice. Very apropos name for it!
GBMorris

Post by GBMorris »

Beautiful! How did you get the two colours (red and yellow) in the stain?

Cheers,
Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Love the stain choice on this one. For me, the stem color doesn't go well with the stain, however. The stem/shank transition looks rounded a bit too. Nice grain. Really, really love the stain.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nice work there.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Greg, Wayne

Stain was done with first with a deep red stain.. dried.. buffed/sanded and then followed by a yellow.. dried and then buffed.... once the stain was in the grain it allowed for the contrast look... almost went with a black.. but last time I mixed black and yellow I got green.. so didn't want to do that again... really the red is an alcohol based stain that soaks into the grain (as the pipe is warm on the outside when applied) and yellow is fieblings.. the yellow stain is cleaned/wipped down w/a clean cloth to ensure the red and yellow didn't bleed together.

For the mouthpiece color not matching.. the pipe and the mouthpice both have yellow.. if I could have gotten a ligtly swirl'd yellow w/red mouthpice it would have probably looked better.. personal preferences .. I actually got the look I wanted there... we'll see if I'm the only one who likes if it doesn't sale over the next month or so. :)

James