My Choice of Jaws!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
smokindawg

My Choice of Jaws!

Post by smokindawg »

Here is a picture of the jaws that I use to hold the briar block when I'm doing my drilling and for a little of the shaping.

The chuck is from grizzly. The jaws for a oneway and nova chuck will interchange on this chuck, other than the thread size on the grizzly was smaller, so I drilled and re-tapped the holes in two of the jaws on this chuck so that I could use the same mounting bolts as the nova on my midi lathe.

These jaws work well and are easy to align so that you get a perfect drilling every time.

The jaws are 1" thick, so to drill, you draw your lines where you will drill both the airway and chamber. Then you draw another line 1/2" above the drill lines. Then line the top of the jaw with the top line you drew and tighten the chuck. Repeat for your other hole and you should have perfectly aligned drilling when your done.

These jaws have done both myself and my buddy a good job for about 3-4 years now.

Pipe Maker in the Making!
JHowell

Re: My Choice of Jaws!

Post by JHowell »

Looks good. Why not scribe a line in the exact center of each jaw and use that for alignment? Saves the step of offsetting 1/2" for everything.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

JHowell wrote:Looks good. Why not scribe a line in the exact center of each jaw and use that for alignment? Saves the step of offsetting 1/2" for everything.
You could scribe a line, and the set that I got this idea from actually had that, but I found it easier to align it completely straight if you have the second line and it takes no time at all to draw the second line, especially with the small half inch wide straight edge I use.
potholer

Post by potholer »

smokindawg

this is a little off topic but when you say that the supernova and oneway jaws fit, does it look like the jaws oneway jaws would fit a supernova chuck and vice versa.
Im curious as I have supernova chuck but like the oneway jaws but cant afford a talon chuck :cry:

nice jaws by the way
regards
dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Dave, Now you got me.......... I'm thinking they are interchangeable but not 100% sure. I'll have to check and see which chuck my buddy has. Also have a jaw from a chuck that has wider drilling. I'll have to find out which chuck that jaw came from. Let me do some checking and see what I can find out.

Thanks for the comment on these jaws.
potholer

Post by potholer »

smokindawg

many thanks for your help

regards
dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes