the future pipe smokers???

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Skip

Re: the future pipe smokers???

Post by Skip »

I was not talking about sales tax. I am talking about tobacco tax.
When I buy tobacco I do not know where it will be sold therefore I must apply Alabama tax to all of it. Alabama has very low tobacco tax. I am saying that no matter which state I ship RYO or smokeless tobacco to I still would have to pay that states tobacco tax as well as Alabamas. Once you combine two states tobacco tax it would not make since to order from us or any other out of state company since it would cost you more than if you bought it in your state.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ah! Double dipping on the tax. Gotta love it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The Canadian Govt has hit a bit of a conundrum (again) with tobacco taxes. It costs about 30 bucks for a 50 g tin here, give or take, with federal and provincial taxes. Recently, a whole truckload of cigs was crushed up in a landfill - it came out of one of the big Reserves, because the Indians (Native Canadians) get this stuff tax free and sell it. So smuggling seems to be up, and when the cheap black market stuff hits, more people smoke. It's a bizarre little trap.

As for pipes.... I just don't know. I sort of hoped that I could do this as a semi-vocation when I retire from carpentry in ... 20 years or so, I guess. But now I wonder what the situation will be in 20 years.

"What's that thing, Grampa?"
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
GBMorris

Post by GBMorris »

I know this is an old topic, but it's no doubt still as relevant as ever.

This article on increasing use of tobacco pipes in US colleges might be of interest:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123509294170728733.html

Maybe there is hope for a future generation of pipe smokers. I myself am probably younger than almost anyone else on this forum at a tender 22 years, and I've started five of my friends on tobacco pipes.

Cheers,
Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.
Massis

Post by Massis »

GBMorris wrote:I know this is an old topic, but it's no doubt still as relevant as ever.

This article on increasing use of tobacco pipes in US colleges might be of interest:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123509294170728733.html

Maybe there is hope for a future generation of pipe smokers. I myself am probably younger than almost anyone else on this forum at a tender 22 years, and I've started five of my friends on tobacco pipes.

Cheers,
Greg
I'm just 23 myself and have started just one of my friends on tobacco pipes, but that makes another 2 young pipesmokers!
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

KurtHuhn wrote: (a lot)
Amen, brother. :x I'm not sure how it would turn out, but I wish someone would challenge all of those state taxation laws related to interstate sales, since the U.S. Constitution specifically prohibits the states from regulating interstate commerce. Those recent laws are an obvious attempt by the states to go around the Constitution (not that the Constitution means anything).
As for the Federal regulation, and taxation, funny how they subsidized tobacco production for over 70 years, and still, state and federal agriculture departments give tech support to tobacco growers, and while they claim to have health concerns, they recommend many dangerous chemicals used in tobacco growing (which increase yield and profits. I have the docs from NC, KY, GA, SC), and the FDA still does not require tobacco companies to list the ingredients in their products like food manufacturers.
Bottom line, they talk health, but it is really about money and overbearing control.

One day people will refer to the S-word, like they now refer to the N-word. Society has always been loaded with bigotry...burning witches, slaves in chains...they just ran out of things to discriminate against, so they're picking on Smokers (opps I used the S-word). The goody-two-shoes-little-F's never did much like people who smoke...too cool for school sort-of-thing, and they're all trying to get even with us for stealing their girlfriends.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

LOL, i dont even smoke pipes, heck, i dont even smoke. I just love collecting pipes and carving them. Its very therapeutic for me. I guess what im trying to say here is that there are a lot of none smokers, myself included, that simply just love to collect and carve pipes. Its very enjoyable! :D