Spindle t.p.i.

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Boekweg

Spindle t.p.i.

Post by Boekweg »

Just a bit of fair warning, I just got my 4 way chuck today and the 3/4"-16 tpi spindle adapter as the specification tab at harbor freight indicate you need to purchase did "not" fit! its actually a 1"-8 spindle so if you own a Central Machinery 10" x 18" 5 speed mini wood lathe from harbor freight, beware! the specification tab is wrong.

5 speed central machinery 10" x 18" mini wood lathe. Specification tab indicates a 3/4"-16 tpi spindle (not true) its 1"-8 tpi.
3/4"-16 spindle adapter (specification tab at harbor freight is faulse) you need a 1"-8 spindle adapter.
SuperNova2 Woodturning Chuck

So for anyone out there who owns or is planning to own a Central Machinery 10"x18" 5 speed mini wood lathe from harbor freight, please beware that the specifide spindle size indicated is "not" 3/4"-16 tpi, but is 1"-8 tpi.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Spindle t.p.i.

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's actually good news. The 1"-8 spindle is standard on a lot of lathes, and there are loads of accessories with that thread. It also means a much more solid and robust spindle than 3/4"-16 might imply.

Given that, is the headstock taper also MT2? That would make things very convenient if that's the case.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Looks like a copy of either the Jet or the Delta Midi lathe. I have the Delta and it also has the 1"x8 and the #2 MT. At least it's easy to fix..... you just need the right insert for that chuck.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@ kurt,

yes, the headstock and tailstock are both MT2. Im just going to send the 3/4"-16 adapter back and switch it out for the 1"-8 adapter since they are both the same price at woodcrafters. It just would have been nice if the information at harbor freight and in the manual, would have been correct to begin with.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Yep, would have been nice indeed. But once you get the correct insert and a set of jaws for holding briar, and a Jacobs chuck for drilling, ect. ect. ect....... You'll have a pretty good set up.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@smokindawg

Yes you are correct. now my next step is to find out if anyone has an extra set of wall chucks since you only need two.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

The supernova should fit right on the 1"-8 spindle. No need for an adapter. Right???
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

As long as you ordered it with the correct insert.

It's stated on the Teknatool website that some places sell the insert separately from the chuck.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

smokindawg wrote:As long as you ordered it with the correct insert.

It's stated on the Teknatool website that some places sell the insert separately from the chuck.
Dude, I'm glad you said that. The only reason why I thought I needed an adapter was because my lil lathe had a 3/4"-16tpi. I assumed that the Nova came equipped with a 1"-8tpi so it could fit on a standard spindle. I just ordered a Delta Midi Lathe and I would have been pissed once I figured out I had to get yet another adapter ( you know the feeling, when you get your new toy, ya wanna play with it immediately!). I just picked up the correct adapter today on my way home from work!

THANKS!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

No problem. I do know what you mean. I'm out in the sticks here, so have to think way ahead or wait when it come to needing something specialized such as lathe or mill parts. Another reason if I can make it, I do.

You'll love the Delta Midi. I started out with one, which I still have and can still use for any part of the process, as it's tooled up for all parts of pipemaking that can be done on a wood lathe. It's also, in my opinion, as close as a wood lathe can actually get to a metal lathe.

Enjoy the lathe..............
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Thanks Dawg, I'm most definitely looking forward to it! I am interested in doing other turning projects other than pipes as well and I have a 7"x10" mini metal lathe that works great for stems thats why I went for the wood lathe. I did a lot of research and it led me to this Delta. Man I'm counting the days tell delivery!!!!

Boekweg..... I'm also looking into buying some jaws from this guy (smokingdawg) search his posts to see what I'm talking about. They look good. Also, if you decide to go for the long nose jaws, let me know if you want to go in on them with Todd Harris and I'll let him know.