Need Help with Pimo Question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ScoJo

Need Help with Pimo Question

Post by ScoJo »

I want to place an order for 4-6 briar blocks (ebauchons, for drilling practice). I want to get stems to go with them (a mix of round tapered and round saddle bits). For a given block size, is there a rule of thumb for the size stem? There are so many sizes of blocks and stems that I want to make sure I get stems that match the size of the resulting (hopefully) pipe-to-be. Thanks.

-Scott
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Scott,
I don't think there is a specific rule of thumb as far as block size to stem size. Stem size would be more influenced by the size of the pipe, and what you envision the finished pipe will look like.

If you are getting an assortment of stems, 5/8" to 11/16" diameter and 2 1/2" to 3" long is a good place to start.

Mike
JMB

Post by JMB »

Scott, hope I am reading it right. As far as the stem's go, anything you want to use is OK. Round, Oval, Square ect. Just decided what dia. of tendon you want. Did you buy the Pimo tendon turner.
My self I went to Tim West for stems to practice on. You can buy them from him by the Doz @ a good price. Sometimes a whole doz for the price of one from Pimo.
JB
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Well, the bit I ordered for the mortise drilling on the stummel is 5/16". I was going to order stems from PIMO since I was going to get blocks there (the cheapest I could find - in case I screw up the drilling badly, plus I was going to get buffing wheels there too). Figured I would stick to round tapered and round saddle. Was going to get a variety of the ebauchons (size-wise).
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Hmm...maybe I should give Tim a call too. But his buffs are a little too big (and too pricey) for me. Would like to do it all from one place, though (my credit card is getting a workout on this new hobby already - LOL!).
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Hmm...in looking at the sizes of blocks I'm probably going to have to stick to the ER7s. I'd like to drill the tobacco chambers to 7/8", and the other ER blocks (I prefer bents) look pretty narrow??
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

LOL - I keep responding to my own post. Does anyone have pictures of the different Guidici vulcanite styles? I see Tim has some of these cheap but I can't picture them from the descriptions.

Thanks.
Nick

Post by Nick »

pipemakers.org has a bunch of pics, but I couldn't tell you if they're the brand you mention. I did by a stem from Tim the other day. A fancy Danish style. Its actually roughed out very well.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Scott: wrote
"Would like to do it all from one place, "

I tried going that route too, but price got me going a differant way. I order most of everything Pimo has. You are right on the Buffs, I went with Pimo for the same reason. You seem to be getting the hang of. Any problems just ask the folks here, they are the best.
JB