Which is a better buy?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
adryazad

Which is a better buy?

Post by adryazad »

Hi,

I'm looking at 2 different lathes. I'm not sure which factory in china makes them. Its not going to be used for turning a stummer, I think i might stick to using my Jet 1014 for that. I was just thinking of making some other stuff with it. Heck i could even turn stems with them.

This on is a 7x12 and goest for about 800usd.. and i think this is made by central machinery and rebranded as Einhell
http://www.einhell.com/scripts/products ... |2914|2270

The next one is a lot bigger, might even be able to turn stummels too. and is going for about 1100usd
http://focus-machine.com/products/multi ... 400_3a.htm

Since this forum has alot of people who uses lathe.. i thought i might ask here..

Cheers,

ADry
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Which is a better buy?

Post by KurtHuhn »

A 7x12 is a really small lathe. If you intend to use it for nothing but stems, you may be fine. Even for stems I'd really prefer a 9x20 - there's just no room to maneuver with a 7x12.

The multipurpose machine, for a couple hundred more, is a far better buy - if that's what you need. If my choice was one or the other, I'd get the second one. However, I have heard that, while it is capable of being a lathe, a drill, and a milling machine, it excels at none of those operations. That's all hearsay though.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
adryazad

Post by adryazad »

From what i looked on grizzly.com..
seems as if both machines are central machinery, they look VERY similar.

Reading the reviews on there.. seems liek the second machine has got soem good reviews. I guess I shall sit on this a while more. But opinions from you guys is great!

cheers,

Adry
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I've yet to see a 7 inch modern lathe that wasn't a piece of crap.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

JHowell wrote:I've yet to see a 7 inch modern lathe that wasn't a piece of crap.
I say this every time someone asks, but nobody seems to listen....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
adryazad

Post by adryazad »

i would listen, but i'm not spoilt for choices. A used lathe is rare where i'm at.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Where do you live? That may be a greater constraint than budget.
adryazad

Post by adryazad »

in Malaysia. Buying certain tools has always been an issue for me. There's just not much choice to go round
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Yep, that explains that. If strictly for pipe making, I'd be on the lookout for a slightly larger lathe and avoid the lathe/mill combos. Both the lathe/mill and 7" lathe are marketed to hobbyists and are apt to be cheaply made. If nobody imports a 9" lathe of larger I suppose you're stuck, but make sure you consider the spindle, both the capacity for rod stock and the spindle mount for chuck mounting. You don't want a mount that is too small or an oddball size.