Can you become a great pipemaker and never buy a lathe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
loosvelt

Can you become a great pipemaker and never buy a lathe

Post by loosvelt »

Are there any great pipemakers that never used a lathe (Wally comes to mind {well i assume he doesn't use a lathe})?

I just don't think living in the D.C. area will ever let me get the space I need for one. I like to think if I put the years in (and master the french wheel) I could make some nice pipes one day.
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
mathias65

Re: Can you become a great pipemaker and never buy a lathe

Post by mathias65 »

I don't have a lathe!

Oh! Wait, I'm nowhere near being a great pipemaker either. :oops: Umm, nevermind. :lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Can you become a great pipemaker and never buy a lathe?

Maybe.

But a good lathe (even a wood lathe) will really help you work through some of the more mundane operations that are an order of magnitude more difficult without one - like stem tenons, hand cut stems, decorative accents, etc.

My opinion? It's not strictly necessary, but you would be doing yourself a disservice by not considering one. Even if you have a small one dedicated to stem work, you're going to find it an absolutely indispensable tool.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

I and a lot of pipemakers have a metal lathes and/or wood lathes and use them a lot, but I think the answer to your question is a definite YES, depending on your talent, skill, etc.
I don't think Abi Natur uses a lathe, and his work is phenominally good...great, I think.

But I, also, definitely agree with Kurt's post, and I think you could find the space for a small lathe, and they are great for drilling accurately, too.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

loosvelt wrote: I just don't think living in the D.C. area will ever let me get the space I need for one. I like to think if I put the years in (and master the french wheel) I could make some nice pipes one day.

I think the question for most people is "why would I not use a lathe?" It makes life much easier.

Sounds like you need to move outside of DC ;)
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

[quote="e Markle] Sounds like you need to move outside of DC ;)[/quote]

Haha, true that. It is also my own fault. I like to make knives also, and am tooling up there. While there is a lot of crossover each has distinct tooling. The lathe is just going to be the hardest to pull off because of weight (basement shop), cost, and size.

I probably know the answer to my own question, but I was just hoping that some sort of pipe making ninja that uses only his throwing stars to carve briar would come out of the shadows to offer a "you can do it!"

Maybe the small Taig would be an option in the future.

-Nate
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If nothing else, a Taig will help immensely. Even a small wood lathe like one of the 10x14 models. But if you really want a home workshop machine, fit for most of what you will do as a hobbyist, a 9" metal lathe is the way to go.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

loosvelt wrote:Are there any great pipemakers that never used a lathe (Wally comes to mind {well i assume he doesn't use a lathe})?
Pretty sure Mr. Wallenstein uses a lathe for his stem work. Either that or he has an impressive ability to face stem stock by hand.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I drill my stems by hand, and face them either with a forstner or by leaving the taper bit in the stem and using a left hand cutting tool clamped in my drill press vice. And it sucks. A lathe would cut my stem work time in 3.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

If you look at some of the videos of British makers, the lathes they use for much of the work consist of little more than a spindle with a chuck and a movable tool rest, kind of like what you might want to turn bowls, though I think most hobby bowl makers just use regular wood lathes. But for the trouble it would be to fab up something more compact than a 9" metal lathe, you might as well just make room for the lathe. A shorty South Bend 9" isn't much over 3 feet long. There must be some ingenious layout that will make it work.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think a more interesting question is actually "Can I become a great pipe maker even if I buy a $20,000.00 lathe?"

You can make pipes on a drill press. Read the sticky on delrin tenons. After that, it's guts and determination and lots of sanding.

A lathe makes things faster, to be sure. But if you dumped a really qualified pipe maker into a garden shed, gave him a drill press and a sanding rig and some files, and a dim bulb to work under, when you came back, there'd be a damn good pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Sasquatch wrote:I think a more interesting question is actually "Can I become a great pipe maker even if I buy a $20,000.00 lathe?"

You can make pipes on a drill press. Read the sticky on delrin tenons. After that, it's guts and determination and lots of sanding.

A lathe makes things faster, to be sure. But if you dumped a really qualified pipe maker into a garden shed, gave him a drill press and a sanding rig and some files, and a dim bulb to work under, when you came back, there'd be a damn good pipe.
Oh no doubt Sas. that is my setup right now, drill press, belt sander, a 1/2 hp motor, one of kurts french wheel sanding pads (with Abralon pads) and buffs. I have the delrin and will soon be trying that (I have a penmakers vise and it works well for drilling)

I guess I was slightly discouraged about all the lathe talk and how it took them to the next level....etc., because I am not sure if I will ever have one. No biggie I will just keep having fun and plugging away. Maybe I will produce something half decent one day.

Who makes the lightest 9 inch metal lathe? Weight is more my problem then size. I like the 10 inch grizzly, but how the heck do you get a 400lb lathe into the basement?

the 7 inch, which would be barely workable, is at least only 80lbs. Are there any in the 200 lb range?

-Nate

taharris

Post by taharris »

In my humble opinion, if a metal lathe is out you can do a hell of a lot on a $400 mini Wood lathe that weighs only 80 pounds. And you can probably find a full size wood lathe used (Craig's list) for a reasonible price and still have something that you can get into your basement. I have the follwoing two wood lathes in my basement and I believe I have the tools (although maybe not the skill) to make a world class pipe:

http://www.amazon.com/1014I-Inch-Indexi ... 614&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/708352-JWL-1236-W ... 96&sr=8-10
The 1236 I got on Craig's list for $500.

Todd
DMI

Post by DMI »

The only thing I do on a lathe is stem work, I drill with a press rough shape with a 50 grit disc then handshape from there on.

I forget who but someone has a pipe workshop the size of a cupboard, I think he's Russian, and turns out some great pipes.

David.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I know a guy who makes perfectly decent pipes on a Jet mini.

I'm not gonna mention any names because I don't wanna embarrass him about his shitty tooling. His pipes fucking rock though. :mrgreen:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

loosvelt wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:SNIP

Who makes the lightest 9 inch metal lathe? Weight is more my problem then size. I like the 10 inch grizzly, but how the heck do you get a 400lb lathe into the basement?

the 7 inch, which would be barely workable, is at least only 80lbs. Are there any in the 200 lb range?

-Nate
Better a midi wood lathe than a 7 inch lathe, in my opinion. Now, about weight; don't be discouraged by weight, it's a very good thing in a lathe. A Logan 200 is around 500 lbs. assembled, but comes apart into pieces that two guys can move with ease, and one guy can move if necessary. Heaviest bit is the bed, Same deal with a South Bend 9 inch, only even easier, they're probably less than 400 and can be moved by two guys whole. I've moved several singlehandedly by disassembling them. Drive is separate, less than 100#. Leadscrew and quick change (if present) come off, maybe 40#. Saddle and apron come off, probably #30, tail stock, 10# or so. Head stock is a solid bit, but one guy can move it pretty easily. The Grizzly likewise can be taken down, though it takes some work to get the head stock realigned as it sits on a flat plate with alignment screws rather than right on the ways like the old lathes do. Divide and conquer.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

JHowell wrote:Same deal with a South Bend 9 inch, only even easier, they're probably less than 400 and can be moved by two guys whole. I've moved several singlehandedly by disassembling them.
Being the impatient sort, I actually moved mine whole. Down into my basement workshop, no less.

Definitely don't let the weight be a limiting factor - surely everyone knows a couple guys that, provided with beer and grilled meat, would help you move a lathe!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com