Small bamboo acorn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Small bamboo acorn

Post by jogilli »

Good day all.. finished this up the other day... just got around to taking some pictures.. the ornaments are WWI British Artillery Fuses from the battlefields of Ieper Belgium. Spent 4 days there again this year participating in the 100km van Ieper 3 day march. Finally got around to cleaning them up today.. May you all have a wonderful 4th.

James

Alden

Re: Small bamboo acorn

Post by Alden »

Love the fuses, thats a great piece of history there and something I've never seen before.
The pipe is awesome, but the flare on the stem doesn't agree with me.
To my eye, an inlay there instead of a flare would look more balanced.
Still a wonderful pipe !
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Beautiful as usual James. I love the color pairing especially.

Brandon
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Ed, Brandon

Thanks.. and roger your comment about the flair. This will more thank likely become my morning coffee pipe or one that can be used for a semi quick smoke at work.. figure a filled bowl will last about 30 minutes... just long enough to step outside before my normal friday evening VTCs at work.

James
Alden

Post by Alden »

I dont know, the more I look at it, the more balance I see. It does mimic the point on the bottom of the acorn in some ways.
Thats what my eye is drawn to, the basic shapes used throughout a pipe and how they balance with one another.
I'm curious if you did anything special to the bamboo, or if these are the natural colors?
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I used a heat gun to darken the bamboo.. basically lightly burn in some places.. darkly burn in others.. to give it a more rustic look.. and then re-aligning things due to changes the heat cased to the material.. then used light brown stain (leather dye) and then wipped it off.. so it left a little coloration

It's just a personal touch
Alden

Post by Alden »

jogilli wrote:I used a heat gun to darken the bamboo.. basically lightly burn in some places.. darkly burn in others.. to give it a more rustic look.. and then re-aligning things due to changes the heat cased to the material.. then used light brown stain (leather dye) and then wipped it off.. so it left a little coloration
Okay, thanks. I am really impressed with the look of it, was wondering how to get a piece with that much character to it.