Your block preparation suggestions...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Mark Beattie

Your block preparation suggestions...

Post by Mark Beattie »

I've been having mixed results in squaring my in-cut blocks since I've started. There always seems to be some misalignment when trying to makes draught holes and chambers meet. Also, my block never seems to be perfectly square, even after squaring it on my disc sander.

If you have a method that works well for you, I'd like to hear it. This has been the demise of many of my pipes. Or if you have a suggestion for different tooling, I'd be open to hearing that a well.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Sasquatch

Re: Your block preparation suggestions...

Post by Sasquatch »

What tooling have you got? How large is the sander? Tools like table and chop saws inherently make things square, but they are also inherently not that easy to cut small pieces on safely.

Can you build some jigs to control things at 90 degrees to the sander?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I made a jig for my 10" disc sander so that I could get my blocks as square as possible. I just used a square and set up a piece 90 degrees to the wheel and then drilled holes and screwed this guide to the table. It works quick and easy. I can square up blocks very quickly now and have done many on this set up and my drilling has been dead on with every block I drill.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
taharris

Post by taharris »

A decent band saw with the right blade will help.

I use a 14" Grizzly with a 3 tph hook tooth blade.

And obviously you need a fence.

Todd
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

Sasquatch wrote:What tooling have you got? How large is the sander? Tools like table and chop saws inherently make things square, but they are also inherently not that easy to cut small pieces on safely.

Can you build some jigs to control things at 90 degrees to the sander?
I have a King Canada 6" disc sander. My problem is that bed that I would rest the block on is only hinged and locked at one location and the other end of it has a lot of play to it ( sometimes up to 1/4" ). It makes drilling very difficult.

I will be
smokindawg wrote:I made a jig for my 10" disc sander so that I could get my blocks as square as possible. I just used a square and set up a piece 90 degrees to the wheel and then drilled holes and screwed this guide to the table. It works quick and easy. I can square up blocks very quickly now and have done many on this set up and my drilling has been dead on with every block I drill.
smokindawg, I'd be interested to see what you've come up with with regards to your jig. I may try to re-create it if it's worked well for you. Nothing worse that all this design work and having a pipe ruined because of it.

Thanks!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Even if you get the block perfectly square, it can be out of whack in the lathe chuck. There are about 4 ways to get the block wonky in the chuck. :lol:

Mark your centers wherever you can, and go by those when you're chucking the block on the lathe.

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

RadDavis wrote:Even if you get the block perfectly square, it can be out of whack in the lathe chuck. There are about 4 ways to get the block wonky in the chuck. :lol:

Mark your centers wherever you can, and go by those when you're chucking the block on the lathe.

Rad
Not if the chuck is perfectly square and super rigid.

If you're trying to square blocks on a disc sander, get a big one, 12 inch, bigger if you can afford it (I can't). The bigger and more industrial the sander, the better the wheel will be and the less flex there will be in the table adjustment. Do your best to get the table square to the wheel. Sand one side face of a block, then the bottom. Measure this angle with a machinist's square that you've tested for squareness. Not good? Adjust table. Good? Square the end to the first side. Check with square. Good? Use the square to check the alignment of the remaining side to the end and the bottom. This will give you some idea what you're correcting. With the bottom against the table, sand the remaining side. Check with the square as you go to make sure you're really getting it square.

With enough work you'll get the table dialed in, and you'll learn how not to put too much pressure on one side or another, but you'll still want to use the square to check every angle you cut. If you just trust the table you'll be off.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

JHowell wrote: If you just trust the table you'll be off.
Sort of like if you just trust the lathe chuck. :P

Running away.

Rad
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Didn't know there was so much involved Jack............ Maybe instead of over thinking it, I may be under thinking it. The simple way I'm doing it works, but I may have gotten a good table by luck.

I'm with you on get as big a sander as you can afford though Jack...... Not sure how well a 6" is going to work as there isn't much room for sanding a block of any size. I've found that my 10" is cutting it close on even the small blocks I'm using.

Having it hooked up to dust collection of some sort is a must unless your doing it outside and don't mind a dusty complexion.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I don't actually need to square up my blocks. The jaws I use allow me to adjust by a significant amount if needed. I just make sure the lines line up, and tighten down the chuck.

On the other hand, this also allows the pipe maker significant freedom to fuck things up in a spectacular fashion.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's an important feature Kurt. If you're gonna fuck up, make it splendid!

FWIW I use a table saw. I put a sacrificial plywood fence on the miter gauge and start trimming at whatever angles the block is cut on, just making some fine passes, and then once I have the block trued up on the bottom and I guess "front" faces, I can stand it up and do some cutting on the rip fence to true up the sides. The results are spectacularly square blocks, and then a guy can re-saw on various angles to maximize grain tendencies.

This should NOT be attempted on a table-top type saw. I am using a very very good piece of equipment for this and wouldn't want to do it on anything less stable.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

RadDavis wrote:
JHowell wrote: If you just trust the table you'll be off.
Sort of like if you just trust the lathe chuck. :P

Running away.

Rad
I guess. The thing is, if your chuck is square and rigid, you have one face flat, and you put the same face flat against the same jaw and hold it flat as you snug up you'll line up even if the block is off. But having the block square makes it more of a sure thing. Getting the block square depends in part on the table being square, but also on technique -- It's possible to push harder on one side and get things out of square, which is why checking with a square is a good idea. Or not. Makes me no nevermind.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Here are two tools witch also make it easyer

This is great and quick for the center line :

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=98

The saddle square (A on the picture) makes it easy to transfer the drill lines from one side to another and it's rigid :

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=84

all this is ofcource done after you've got the block squared up proper..

One of the advantages of shaping before drilling is you can skip all of the above but that is another method all togheter
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

Just a final reply to close this thread up and also provide some answers for other pipe makers with the same question.

Accurate woodworking machines were not at my disposal so I purchased a 12" disc sander from Busy Bee:

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/SA ... AFTEX.html

This trumped my other, inexpensive 6" disc sander. I made a mitre gauge extension out of 3/4" MDF and squared that with the disc and also the disc to the table and, voila. Perfectly squared blocks with a crisp, sharp edge. Now on to marking them for drilling:

Based on a suggestion from Geiger Pipes I purchased a large saddle square from Lee Valley to create my drilling lines on the block. Thank you for that Geiger Pipes. It really does work well. It is rigid and the one I purchased was the large model which eliminates the need to turn the saddle around to finish penciling the line.

The result: My First aligned draught hole / tobacco hole junction. Couldn't be happier with this method.

Thanks all and good luck.
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

I don't have my briar chuck finished yet, so I've been drilling on a press. I square up on a table saw and then chuck it up in one of these little chingaderas.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-dri ... 94276.html

I mark my block up on all sides and then make sure I chuck it squarely. Works well.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I award 10 points for use of the word "chingaderas". I haven't seen that word used since leaving California in 2000. :thumbsup:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

KurtHuhn wrote:I don't actually need to square up my blocks. The jaws I use allow me to adjust by a significant amount if needed. I just make sure the lines line up, and tighten down the chuck.

On the other hand, this also allows the pipe maker significant freedom to fuck things up in a spectacular fashion.
+1
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Dont ask me, because ever since i got my wood lathe, i tryied, ..tried?..tride? tochuck up a peace of briar block and work it. it just came out while i was turning it and ricochet (i googled this word) out of the lathe, off my arm, off the wall, off the lathe ....i dont remember where it wound up, but it left abig gash in my arm,... sothere.

good luck my friend.

PS. dont drink to much. :wink: