6 7 8 9 and 10

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

6 7 8 9 and 10

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I've been working 6 days a week lately, so havent felt like taking any photos of completed pipes. Here are the photos of 6 7 8 9 and 10, in order of completion, just to show I have been doing something with my time. Theres only one pic of each, and then a picture of all 5 together. I dont want to bore everyone with 35 pics. All of the pipes have a flaw in either stem, stummel, or both. so here they are.
This is an old straight dublin. maybe my third hand cut stem. It had a huge crack in the bottom, and the stem is awful looking too.

this was supposed to be a very tiny, long shanked billiard. weird swoop in the shank, terrible stemwork.
similar to the last one, lovat or billiard shape. much bigger pipe. much better stem
Image\
I tried to duplicate a dunhill bulldog with this one. there is a flaw in the shank that wraps almost all the way around. i also punched throught the bakelite stem on the bottom.

this one started out as a poker, but had a massive crack in the bottom. i rounded the heel and gave it a bent stem, just to save the block. i drilled the chamber at 1" leaving extremly thin walls. maybe 3/16 thick.
Boekweg

Re: 6 7 8 9 and 10

Post by Boekweg »

I'm just a novice here fuchi_jeg, (so no critique) but i would still like to let you know that i am glad you are here on the forum, and i am glad you are making an effort to become a pipemaker! :thumbsup:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Looks to me like maybe you are doing a lot of sanding with paper and losing some of the crispness of the lines because of it? The shanks/stems are pretty "wobbly" and if you treat them with a flat file a lot of those lumps and bumps will go away.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

thanks boekweg, i appreciate the encouragment. I enjoy making pipes, and probably will always do so, even though I may never master it. Feel free to critique. I didnt provide a lot of pictures mostly because im already aware of a lot of the flaws.
Sas, i didnt really notice the wobbles untill i looked at the magnified pictures. Now its pretty aparent. I have tried various files, but they seem to leave nasty scratch patterns that are had to remove. i have a sanding stick i have used in the past with psa paper, maybe i will try that in the future to keep the taper straight. Yout tip on the button seems to be working, the last few have a much more well defined button. thanks for the advice!