Brandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Brandy

Post by wdteipen »

I'm hesitant to post this one because there's a lot that could have been done better from a design standpoint but here you go nonetheless. Let me know your thoughts and what could have been done better.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Mike Messer

Re: Brandy

Post by Mike Messer »

wdteipen wrote:I'm hesitant to post this one because there's a lot that could have been done better from a design standpoint but here you go nonetheless. Let me know your thoughts and what could have been done better.
No way. It's a great (and very cool) looking pipe...perfect...design, execution, as far as I can see, and your recent use of the palm wood is a really nice touch.
But, I'm sure, some will have issues, as always.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I absolutely love how you incorporated the plateaux and your stamp. That third pic down is incredible. I don't think I have seen another pipe where the plateaux looks quite so dramatic. My only wish is that that portion ran symmetrically along the bottom rather than the slight angle of the last pic. That being said I like it a lot.

Out of curiosity, about how long is it? Just for reference.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Simply beautiful.
Best regards.
Félix

Sencillamente, preciosa.
Saludos.
Félix
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Good thinking on the stamp! Cool touch.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks fellas.
NathanA wrote:I absolutely love how you incorporated the plateaux and your stamp. That third pic down is incredible. I don't think I have seen another pipe where the plateaux looks quite so dramatic. My only wish is that that portion ran symmetrically along the bottom rather than the slight angle of the last pic. That being said I like it a lot.

Out of curiosity, about how long is it? Just for reference.
It's 4.41" from the heel to the bit.

When I was lining up the grain with the bowl I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the plateaux so it's off center which is what disappoints me the most about the pipe. I probably should have just gone with a traditional shank once that happened but I was hoping it would work out better than it did. I don't think it's horrible but it didn't turn out the way I had invisioned which can be frustrating.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I wouldn't worry about the symetricalness of the plateau, only because including it in the first place is asymetric. I like it off center like that, it says that its not coming out of a fabricator. Also, ingenious use of the stamp.

Love the stummel, hate the stem. Cumberland is a little to busy with the palm and plateau, and the taper was a strange choice. Army mount with a flared saddle or some such would have worked better.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Stunning work ! I personally dont like how tall the shank is, but I'm not sure you could have done everything you did on the bottom if the stem and airway were lower.
Absolutely beautiful result though, really a work of art without losing the character of a traditional shape.
So many far out "art" pipes end up looking nothing at all like a traditional shape, this is a great balance of both.