Terrific lathe bit grinding video...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
PipesByDesign

Terrific lathe bit grinding video...

Post by PipesByDesign »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZbr7Sh8 ... r_embedded

There's a series, evidently. The guy is a pro and really made the whole process easy to follow for those of us (especially myself) who aren't savvy with the grinder...

Jonathan
caskwith

Re: Terrific lathe bit grinding video...

Post by caskwith »

Tubalcain is a machinist legend, he has made some fantatic videos on so many topics. This one on tool grinding is considered must see for any new operators to a lathe. You will find that for the best results certain angles and shapes will need to be changed for working with wood and plastics as we do, but to start off you cant really go wrong with his tips.
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

Yeah, I sensed his guru status. I would've loved to be in one of his high school machine shop classes. Sounds like a natural educator. Clearly loves it.

Having only recently acquired a lathe myself...hence my excitement over this video... what changes in angles do you recommend? Are they sharper since wood is obviously a softer material? I know the difference between metal and wood drill bits is that metal ones have a more shallow angle... same concept?

Thanks.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

PipesByDesign wrote:Yeah, I sensed his guru status. I would've loved to be in one of his high school machine shop classes. Sounds like a natural educator. Clearly loves it.

Having only recently acquired a lathe myself...hence my excitement over this video... what changes in angles do you recommend? Are they sharper since wood is obviously a softer material? I know the difference between metal and wood drill bits is that metal ones have a more shallow angle... same concept?

Thanks.
For things like ebonite you want a sharper angle, wood tends to be about the same as metal but to be honest I never measured the angles on mine, I just ground them until they worked nicely. Acrylic will want shallow angles as it tends to grab the edge otherwise. The main difference is that for pipe making you will be wanting different shapes to those for metal since we are doing different things. I have a whole host of different bits of special jobs but a general purpose turning/facing tools such as that shown in the video is a very good palce to start and will do most jobs for you.