Metal lathe turning tools

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
W.Pastuch

Metal lathe turning tools

Post by W.Pastuch »

Hey guys, I would really appreciate some help with a turning problem I have.
I have a metal lathe, like this one: http://www.optimum-machines.com/product ... index.html
The problem is that the tool holder is set for tools with a height of 18mm. I cannot afford a quick change tool holder (which, as far as I know, would allow me to set the height). The thing is that it seems 18mm turning tools are almost impossible to find, you can get whatever you want in 16mm or 20mm, but almost never 18mm. For now I've dealt by placing two smaller tools, 8 and 10mm, with one acting just as support to add height. That's not really comfortable because I have to keep fiddling with many tools and also it doesn't seem like the "right" way to do this.
Is there an easy and not too expensive way to solve this? I don't want to be using other tools for support, I'd just like to have turning tools that I simply place in the tool holder and I'm ready to go, I hope there is some solution to this :) If not I will just have to start saving for an adjustable tool holder (man are they expensive for this size of lathe!)
Thanks in advance for your help! :)
caskwith

Re: Metal lathe turning tools

Post by caskwith »

Just buy the slightly smaller set and make sure yourself up a shim that lifts it up to the right height, then each time you change hte tool you just need to pop the shim under it. Will take no longer to change a tool than normal.

Other alternative is to get a block of steel/alu the right thickness to lift hte tool holder and place it underneath as a permanent shim. And yes the normal way is to shim tools if you don't have a quick change.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I too ran into this problem. I bought some shims from an automotive store. I'm not sure what they use them for in cars, but they had all different sizes. the problem with these is that they're too bulky. I'll have to either work with them sicking out everywhere or find a good way to uniformly cut them to the right shape. Do any of you know if there are shims that are more specifically shaped for this kind of thing?
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Thanks Chris, I wasn't even familiar with the word "shim", so I'm smarter now :)
Still, they could have just fitted a more typical height...?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

keilwerth wrote:Thanks Chris, I wasn't even familiar with the word "shim", so I'm smarter now :)
Still, they could have just fitted a more typical height...?
There are no standard heights in lathe tools really, especially if you grind your own which most people do. Almost every one of my tool bits is different as they have their own special roles either for pipe making or other jobs, thats why I have 12 quick change tool holders and many of those have more than 1 tool to be used in them.