Sans Power Tools?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
billiard

Sans Power Tools?

Post by billiard »

Hello all,

Are there any artisans out there who make pipes sans power tools? Not from a kit, and not just the stummel, but the whole thing from block and rod? Would anyone have a link to their site if so? I am sure I saw an artisan who did this awhile back, when I was shopping for a new pipe, but my google-fu is failing me.

I think I want to have a go at this next. I have done the stummel all by hand previously but I haven't drilled the stem sans power tools yet. I have not put a tenon on completely from scratch yet but I did go from a couple of premade stem, left thick, tenons to size by hand before I bought a Pimo tool though.

Many thanks in advance,
Bill
Sasquatch

Re: Sans Power Tools?

Post by Sasquatch »

One of those wacky Russians - I think it's Revyagin, doesn't use power tools at all.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
mredmond
Site Supporter

Sans Power Tools?

Post by mredmond »

I've read that about Revyagin, as well. He uses a Dremel and a hand drill sparingly and the rest is by hand, or some such thing. He makes some pretty cool pipes. I'm a big fan of his troll bulldog.

Micah
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

Turns out Neill just wrote about him here.

Sounds like he has almost gone totally without tools, but is still using a lathe and a dremel. Very interesting artisan.

Gonna try my own way once... well if you have seen my cobs it won't be my first time just doing whatever, lol... so if I do not post again for a while it is because my hands are busy.

Many thanks.
Bill
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

I've done a few pipes sans power tools. Just finished one up recently and it's smoking nicely. I am really not interested in turning rods into stems anymore so I've gone green by recycling old stems from other pipes.

It's all just a matter of time and priorities. If you want to kick out a large quantity quickly you'll want to step into at least the Ninteenth Century. But if you have the time and inclination a sharp blade will do nicely.

Although there seems to be some disagreement about where power work stops and hand work begins. Funny, I always thought it was with the cord or battery. Go figure.
Recently, Revayagin has formed his tobacco chambers by hand. He has also purposefully decided to leave traces of working with the dremel tool on the bowl exterior, “like tool marks were left on objects during ancient times.”

“I state a 100% guarantee that a pipe was a handmade,” Revyagin asserts.
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

please excuse my ignorance but what are sans power tools
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

jjpipes wrote:please excuse my ignorance but what are sans power tools
"Sans" meaning "without"

Or it could be an incredibly brilliant name for a power tool company.
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

Like I said ignorant

Thanks Bosaiya
Steve
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

jjpipes wrote:Like I said ignorant

Thanks Bosaiya
Steve
Not ignorant at all. At least you asked.