Metal lathe recommendations?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Todd_Pytel

Metal lathe recommendations?

Post by Todd_Pytel »

Hi everybody - I've been lurking for a while, but I think it's time to get started now. Lovely forums Tyler's set up here. Anyway, my question...

I'm ready to jump into pipe making, and need to get myself a decent lathe. I'm particularly interested in stem work, so I'd like to go ahead and get a "real" metal lathe from the start. I also got roped into working a bunch of extra hours at work recently, so dropping about $1000 on good shop equipment to get started with won't kill me. I've had some experience with a lathe, but it's been quite a while, so I don't trust myself to evaluate a used machine accurately. Thus, I'm looking for a new machine with fairly complete tooling for a thousand bucks, preferably less.

This thread from about six months back suggested that the Lathemaster outfits would work out nicely, but there didn't seem to be any direct experience with them. Has anyone had a chance to check these out? I was looking specifically at the 8x14 model - it's a bit smaller than the 9x20, but I don't particularly care about carving churchwardens or other outsized pieces, and the 8x14 has an extra half inch of tailstock travel on the 9x20. But perhaps the extra size and weight on the 9x20 is a better tradeoff? And are there any other manufacturers out there that fit the requirements that I should be looking at?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

If I recall correctly, Todd Johnson has a new Jet that he likes that is in your ballpark range. Hopefully he'll jump in here and mention the model number, but if not, you might private message him.

Welcome to the forum! Have fun!!

Tyler
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hi Todd,

Your best bet is probably a Jet BD920N. With the stand and everything, you'll come in at just under $1K. If you're also wanting to turn stummells on your lathe, I would reccomend a Lamb chuck (www.lambpipes.com) or the equivelant. Removing 2 jaws from a standard 4 jaw chuck is fine for straight billiards, but if you want to turn any other shapes, or will be drilling using the lathe, the lack of height on the jaws make it quite dangerous. My other advice would be negative advice . . . do not give in to the temptation to purchase a Central Machinery or Harbor Freight lathe. I actually traded a pipe for a 9 x 20 Central Machinery lathe because I wanted a fourth one to dedicate to particular operations, and it is (as I had always assumed) cheaply made and quite insufficient as an everyday "workhorse." The $200-$300 you'll save is just not worth it. If you need any other specific info, just let me know.

Best regards, and good luck!

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Todd,

What is your impression of the Jet BD920N? When it is time for my workshop to "grow up" I'll need a solid bench metal lathe. My Jet JML-1014 restricts me to hand-held chisels and tools only, which has not proven to be a limiting factor, but I'm convinced I could save lots of time by using the right tool for the job. Time is money, after all....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Kurt, that's a wood lathe right? What all do you do on it? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to go for a wood lathe before getting a metal one (if ever).

Has anyone ever heard of Cummins tools? They had a metal lathe there that I saw today for like $599 or $699.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yes, that's the Jet "mini" lathe. IT's actually not so mini....

I've been thinking that, while a skew chisel cuts great tenons, a metal lathe could cut better tenons in a shorter amount of time. I could also use it to cut other metal projects I have around the workshop.

I've used a few Cummins tools. My electric hand drill is an old (as in 1950s production) Cummins drill, and it still works *great*. It can't out-torque my DeWalt cordless, but it spins faster and never needs batteries charged.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Todd_Pytel

Post by Todd_Pytel »

ToddJohnson wrote: Your best bet is probably a Jet BD920N. With the stand and everything, you'll come in at just under $1K.
Wow, where did you get that price? What I've seen online for the Jet is $1100 for the lathe only (including shipping). I was planning to build my own bench anyway, so if I could get the Jet for ~$900, that would be pretty enticing. But $1100 sounds a lot more intimidating, especially considering the eventual need for a pipe chuck, as you mentioned.

Thanks for the info - I appreciate the help.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hey Todd,

I believe I got my BD920N at Do-All Industrial. They have locations across the country, but I'm not sure where all they are. If you build your own "bench," you're going to have extreme difficulty taking all of the vibration out of it. I would only reccomend building it if you're fairly confident in your lay-engineering skills. On the stand, my lathe was a bit too short for what I was comfortable with. I'm about 6'2" so I needed it to come up higher when I was spending 2-3 hrs. a day standing at it. Look around for the Jet and see if you can catch a holiday sale or something. I think you should be able to come in for under $1K.

Best of luck,

Todd
Todd_Pytel

Post by Todd_Pytel »

ToddJohnson wrote: I believe I got my BD920N at Do-All Industrial. They have locations across the country, but I'm not sure where all they are.
Checked out their site and there's one near me (Chicago). The BD920 still listed at over $1100, without stand, in their online shop, but I'll stop by the B&M and see if they can do better.
If you build your own "bench," you're going to have extreme difficulty taking all of the vibration out of it. I would only reccomend building it if you're fairly confident in your lay-engineering skills.
I found some plans online that were specifically for a 9x20 lathe. The designer seemed experienced and intelligent, and I think I can execute the design accurately. If it doesn't work, I should only be out about $50 and I can probably use the bench for something less intensive anyway. I certainly wouldn't try engineering one from scratch.
On the stand, my lathe was a bit too short for what I was comfortable with. I'm about 6'2" so I needed it to come up higher when I was spending 2-3 hrs. a day standing at it.
Are you talking about the Jet factory stand or a homebuilt one? I had heard that the Jet stands were pretty much sized for midgets, which is one reason I was going to try building my own - I'm 6'4".
Look around for the Jet and see if you can catch a holiday sale or something. I think you should be able to come in for under $1K.
Yeah, I've got some time the week before Christmas, so I'll be doing some shopping and calling. There are a zillion industrial supply and machine places around Chicago - it's just a little tough to tell what exactly they deal in from a yellow pages listing.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hey Todd,

It's very possible that the price has just gone up. I checked Amazon, and the price was about $1500 including the stand. The height of the Jet stands are such that you're standing over your workpiece instead of just peering slightly down at it. In my B'ham shop I poured a 2' x 4' slab and set the lathe+stand on top of that. That put it at the perfect height. When I set up my shop in New Haven, I wanted more of a bench with a magnetic toolholder "backsplash," various holes for various tools, etc., so I just built my own and use the stand as a storage cabinet. I put a top on it and turned it into a small worktable. The plans you have sound promising. Hopefully that will work out well. On the Jet, you might want to check Northern Tool Crib. I have a catalog listing the BD920N at $960, and I think that includes shipping.

Best,

Todd