Second post in gallery

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

Second post in gallery

Post by Ocelot55 »

Alright folks, here is my second post in the gallery section. I really like the shaping on this one, although the stem/shank junction still looks a little off. Gorgeous grain; the photos don't capture that well.

Let me know what you think!
JonBood

Re: Second post in gallery

Post by JonBood »

Good job!
The only thing that comes to my mind at first look is the same that Growley(Brian) pointed out on your last pipe post; that the stem doesn't completely follow the taper of your shank on the top side at least.
On the last photo it looks a bit like the bowl is continuing out on the shank, but that may just be the angle of the photo.

Other than that i think it looks really good. Can imagine the grain, i feel it has been the same on my pipes. The grain is never showing of as good in the photos :cry: :D
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Not a bad pipe at all. You want the lines on the top (Wayne & Tyler - "bottom"?) of the shank to be one continuous line. There's a slight change at the junction there. Also, the shank stem junction shouldn't have any dip or crevice.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

e Markle wrote:Not a bad pipe at all. You want the lines on the top (Wayne & Tyler - "bottom"?) of the shank to be one continuous line. There's a slight change at the junction there. Also, the shank stem junction shouldn't have any dip or crevice.

I think we all pretty much agree about the stem shank junction. Funny thing is I really tried to address that while making this pipe and still wound up with the same result. Maybe I should change my tactics...
taharris

Post by taharris »

I think the problem is that you did not remove enough material from the top of the shank near the bowl.

If you do this you will find that your transition to the stem is better.

All and all a nice pipe.

Todd
Leus

Post by Leus »

Others have already commented on the flaws. Do you shape the stem attached to the pipe? That may help.

Also, don't be afraid to remove more briar!

This pipe looks good, which is not a small compliment for a beginning pipe carver; your first and second shows that you have a good eye, which is a good thing to have. Keep on it and soon you'll be carving really good pipes.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I believe the real culprit is.................Royal Yacht.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

baweaverpipes wrote:I believe the real culprit is.................Royal Yacht.
Indeed, I had to buy it overseas to avoid the Yacht tax. Who says only the 1% own yachts.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Leus wrote:Others have already commented on the flaws. Do you shape the stem attached to the pipe? That may help.

Also, don't be afraid to remove more briar!

This pipe looks good, which is not a small compliment for a beginning pipe carver; your first and second shows that you have a good eye, which is a good thing to have. Keep on it and soon you'll be carving really good pipes.
I do shape the pipe with the stem attached, so I just need a bit more practice.

Thanks for compliment. I really appreciate the encouragement. Sometimes I can get pretty down on myself for the quality of my work. Thanks again
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

This is a pretty good looking bent billiard. I like the bowl shape and the curve you have going on the bottom of the bowl and shank. The thickness of the bowl does give this pipe a clunky feel but I think a bigger chamber diameter would be a better solution than taking more briar off the outside for future reference (since redrilling the chamber is generally a bad idea.) Also, don't be afraid to go thinner on the stem near the bit and work on defining the button more. You already now the stem/shank issues so I won't comment except to suggest a good flat file. Nice early pipe. Keep up the good work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks Wayne!