Greetings from a New Guy

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
d.huber

Greetings from a New Guy

Post by d.huber »

Hello all!

I've been a pipe smoker/collector for the last 6 years. Two years ago, I bought a few pieces of briar from Pipe Makers Emporium and fancied myself a pipe maker. :roll: Needless to say, I ran into a whole lot of issues and questions which have been humbling. Now I'm delighted to be perusing the vast depths of information that are available on this forum in the hopes that one day I may be worthy of the title "pipe maker."

I'd like to be the first to say that I know absolutely nothing about crafting a pipe at this point. I'm still slowly working on two blocks that I started carving 2 years ago, so we'll see how that goes. They're both freehand. One is shaped but not drilled and the other is rough shaped and I'm in the process of drilling it freehand. Wasn't I smart to choose the hardest path for my first time out? Sheesh. :banghead:

My tools are incredibly limited, so I'm currently making due with the rasps, files, gimlets, and sandpaper that I've accumulated so far. All of these hand tools have made the process slow but rewarding. I had a triumph recently where I was able to make the pilot hole for the chamber and the 3mm airway connect on the first try! It was a great moment, but I'm sure it had a great deal to do with beginner's luck.

Having read a handful of threads already, I'm going to try my hand at a traditional shape next so there can actually be a frame of reference for feedback. Y'know, once I actually complete a pipe. ;)

Well, long story short: hi, I'm new. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Re: Greetings from a New Guy

Post by Ocelot55 »

Welcome! Glad to have you on board.

Don't sweat a lot over the lack of tools. The more pipes I make the more I have found that I prefer hand to power tools. It is really easy to mess something up really fast with power tools. Hand tools take a lot more time, but to me they're much more precise.

I cant wait to see some of your work. I'm still new to all this but I'll let you know three things that really helped me out: 1) DON'T RUSH. take your time with every aspect of the pipe. 2) PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. It sounds stupid, but the more you make the better you get.3) Listen to the advice of those who have come before you. This forum is the ultimate resource for pipe making. Take full advantage of it.

Wishing you all the best.

Jesse
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Hello UberHuberMan, and welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place. I look forward to seeing your work.

Have fun!

Dave
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Welcome. This is an amazing place to learn. Read up, dig in and start making some briar dust!
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Welcome.. do a lot of reading here.. I just took my travel kit to my inlaws for christmas.. nothing but files and sandpaper.. so you'll at tooled up from what you wrote...

Enjoy
james
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! I'll be posting a link to a thread I started on BrothersofBriar.com detailing the process of making my first pipe as I'm making it. Please check it out and feel free to chime in if you spot anything that I could be doing better. Thanks again!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Welcome!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Welcome David! No video tomorrow, as there's roof repair to be done, but maybe Sunday. :thumbsup:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com